Chapter 358- 360

Chapter 358: I'll Tell You Everything

The corners of Ling Zhaowu's mouth twitched. Yuwen Tong made him sound like some sort of dangerous criminal. He was Zhang'er's father. Why would he do harm to his own son?

"It's no good trying to psych me out. I'm not going to..." Ling Zhaowu was just about to reject Yuwen Tong's request when he suddenly sensed something and twisted his head aside to look out of the window.

Yuwen Tong had risen to his feet. For an instant his face registered astonishment and bemusement, and then he hastened to walk out.

"Brother Zhang? Were–Weren't you asleep? Why did you come out here?"

The one who had suddenly shown up outside the house was indeed Ling Zhang. He was standing at the edge of the pool of candlelight, silently watching Yuwen Tong stepping out of the house, a mixed expression in his eyes.

A while ago he had awoken to find Yuwen Tong gone. Then he had asked Yao Yi and some others, but they had hemmed and hawed. It hadn't been until he gave them the third degree that they told him Yuwen Tong left the palace. He had mistakenly believed that Yuwen Tong had fallen for his story, but it had never crossed his mind that Yuwen Tong had actually been suspicious of him for quite some time, that he had just never shown any sign of his suspicions. Yuwen Tong had been anxious but unwilling to force him to tell the truth, and the only thing he had dared to do was sneak out of the palace to ask his father about it late at night.

The reason for all this was merely because Yuwen Tong had perceived the changes of his mood, and because Yuwen Tong regarded him as the light of his life and had been paying attention to his each and every move...

"I'm sorry."

Yuwen Tong briefly paused and then instantly became somewhat flustered. The distressed look on Ling Zhang's face made him feel as though an iron fist had clenched suddenly around his heart.

"Stop pressuring my father. I'll tell you everything you want to know."

Ling Zhang took a deep breath. If he was able to continue keeping it secret, he would definitely do it, but now Yuwen Tong had started digging, and for one lie to sound plausible, he might have to tell countless more lies. Things between the two of them were not supposed to be like this. Although he feared very much that after he told Yuwen Tong the truth, Yuwen Tong might consider him as a freak, call off the wedding and care about him no more.

"But you must promise me this first – after you know the truth, if you find it unacceptable, you may do whatever you want to me, but don't hurt anybody else. Let them leave the capital city unharmed."

Yuwen Tong knitted his brows, but at the sight of the fear in Ling Zhang's eyes, the frown on his face disappeared. "Stop being so pessimistic. Let's say goodbye to your father and go back to the palace. You should've put on more clothes before coming here. The night wind is so cold."

His hand held by Yuwen Tong's, Ling Zhang lowered his head, fighting back the tears.

"Father, I've thought about it, and I think it's time to tell him the truth."

Watching the two of them holding each other's hands, Ling Zhaowu let out a sigh and simply said, "Make sure you're making a decision you won't regret making."

Then he shifted his gaze to Yuwen Tong, his eyes becoming piercing. "Please don't hurt him. My life doesn't worth much. I'm willing to give it up if that's what it takes for my son to live."

"His life means more to me than my own does," Yuwen Tong replied with only one sentence and then said to Ling Zhang, "Let's go back."

It had been Ling Zhaowu that he came here for, and he had originally thought that Ling Zhaowu was the root cause of all this, but now, judging from Ling Zhang's and Ling Zhaowu's reactions, the root cause of all this was not Ling Zhaowu but Ling Zhang himself.