Chapter 481- 483

Chapter 481: The Empress's Return

The Luohai Kingdom? Both Ling Zhaowen and Fu Caiwei were amazed.

Ling Zhang didn't give details after telling them it was the Luohai Kingdom that he'd just returned from. Since Ling Zhang made no more remarks on his journey, Ling Zhaowen and Fu Caiwei, both of whom had great sense of perspective, didn't ask any further questions on that score.

"Uncle Zhaowen, Aunt Caiwei, this time around I'm here because I want to bring Aunt Caiwei back to the capital city," said Ling Zhang.

Ling Zhaowen exchanged a look with Fu Caiwei and thought about it for a moment. Actually Fu Caiwei's pregnancy was now in a very stable state, so making a journey back to the capital city wouldn't be a problem for her if her carriage traveled at a gentle pace. Besides, if she went with Ling Zhang, she would be sitting in Ling Zhang's carriage which was, naturally, far better than those of common people, so she wouldn't experience any discomfort. Most importantly, as the Shengzhou governor, Ling Zhaowen was fully aware of the recent covert movements of the North-western Army. Though presently Shengzhou assumed a semblance of peace and normality, the prospect of war was actually looming large. Unless he was very much mistaken, it wouldn't be long before the fighting broke out.

Connecting this with Ling Zhang's return from the Luohai Kingdom and his special detour to Shengzhou with the intention to bring Fu Caiwei back to the capital city, Ling Zhaowen became more convinced of the truth in his conjecture and at the same time caught on to what Ling Zhang meant.

"Do you have to depart right away?" asked Ling Zhaowen.

Fu Caiwei looked at him in astonishment, for previously they had decided that she was to stay in Shengzhou waiting for the baby to come. Still, instead of interrupting her husband immediately, Fu Caiwei started pondering. She knew that Ling Zhaowen, after making a decision, wouldn't change his mind unless the situation changed. On top of that, her nephew seemed quite determined as well...

Her mind racing, Fu Caiwei felt that she had vaguely guessed something, a faintly apprehensive expression appearing on her face in spite of herself.

Since Ling Zhaowen was asking about the time of departure instead of raising an objection, Ling Zhang came to know that his uncle must've guessed the reason. Having heard no objection from his aunt either, Ling Zhang replied, "We depart the day after tomorrow, which means we have one day to make preparations."

Ling Zhaowen gave a nod. "All right."

Fu Caiwei opened her mouth but eventually said nothing. She just raised her hand and stroked her belly as the look on her face gradually became one of unswerving determination.

Ling Xuxu, though unable to tell what the adults were thinking about, had come to understand what Ling Zhang and Ling Zhaowen meant. "Is Mom going to the capital city?"

Ling Zhang looked down at him. "Yeah, and you're coming with us. Your big brother and grandfather are both in the capital city waiting for you. Do you miss them?"

Ling Xuxu answered with a head bob. "Yes!"

But he immediately added, "What about Dad?"

"Your dad has work to do, a lot of it, so it's just you and your mom going back to the capital city," Ling Zhang said to the boy.

Appearing slightly disappointed, Ling Xuxu looked at his father.

Sensing his son's reluctance to leave him, Ling Zhaowen felt gratified, but the next moment he heard Ling Xuxu say, "Rest assured, Dad, I'll take good care of Mom."

Ling Zhaowen, "..."

He was happy to see that his son had such filial affection for his mother, but why was he feeling a sense of loss?