Chapter 556- 557

Chapter 556: Spin-Off – A Journey to the South Ocean (14)

Ling Zhang, after his talk with Yuwen Tong, said no more. During the first half of the night, all those supposed to be sleeping were fast asleep, and those still awake were sitting or lying in repose with their eyes closed.

Ji Yanlai had stopped gazing into the depths of the dark. Ji Yin, along with the couple of elders, were meditating, their eyes closed. For the moment there was no telling whether or not any of them was also being affected.

Most people were sound asleep, and in their dreams many of them forgot about the terrible things they had witnessed during the day.

However, as Zi Hour (23:00-00:59) neared, something in the dark seemed to be closing in on them. What with this weird, subdued atmosphere, all the unsleeping ones opened their eyes, and almost all of them sensed the approaching danger.

Ling Zhang sat up from Yuwen Tong's embrace and looked off into the darkness.

At first it was just a perception of a looming crisis, but gradually they began to hear some strange sounds of breathing, which were shallow but very fast. Those people seemed to be in intense excitement. Some of them were leaping from rooftop to rooftop, others streaking along the streets, all of them threateningly advancing towards this camp.

"Form up!" yelled the couple of elders of the Millennium Pavilion. The guards immediately formed up into a defensive formation in front of the others.

The soldiers on night duty, whose hearing was not as good as the others', were all unaware of what was going on, but they still promptly woke up their companions. Everybody was on the alert and combat-ready.

The first pair of eyes came into sight because of the reflection of firelight off them. Those eyes were crimson and bloodshot. And then a man leapt up high, fiercely coming at them like a beast at its prey, his eyes terrifying, the aura of murderousness around him almost palpable, his teeth bared.

The sudden appearance of the first man was closely followed by that of the second, the third ...

All the others, like the first one, were crimson-eyed and weird-looking, their clothes bloodstained, baring their teeth, appearing more like wild beasts than humans.

"Holy shit! What's wrong with these people? Are they insane? They look much scarier than those pirates!" shouted Yuwen Jin in confusion, staring at those eccentric men and whipping out his saber after scrambling to his feet.

"They suffered Chi-Disorder," said an officer standing beside him.

"Chi-Disorder my ass! Did you not hear what the Clan Leader said during the day? They're under some kind of encampment, which means they're jinxed," demurred Yuwen Jin.

"All these people are under a spell," said Ji Yanlai, "one that's very difficult to undo. They can be stopped by nothing but death. Even if we knew the countercurse, we wouldn't have enough time to save all of them. Unlike those pirates, all these people have kung fu skills."

"Then we kill them," said Yuwen Tong.

Given the strong smell of blood these people were giving off, they probably had taken a lot of lives.

The soldiers bent their bows, took aim and fired arrows at those peculiar-looking men approaching from the distance, while guards of the Millennium Pavilion had engaged the enemies at the front.

Ling Zhang and the others were not just watching either. Since the enemies were in large numbers and seemed to be pretty good at kung fu, the guards and soldiers wouldn't be able to wipe them out anytime soon, so Ling Zhang and the others all made their move.