Chapter 235- 237

Chapter 235: The Day of the Hunt Meeting

Although having a guilty conscience, Ling Zhang, who had been deprived of chances to whisper to Yuwen Tong by the presence of Yuwen Han and Yuwen Jin, felt fairly frustrated.

Eventually, resigned, Ling Zhang made an excuse, went outside and found Yao Yi to get some information about the situation in the hunting ground.

Yao Yi said, "Rest assured, Childe Ling, the Marshal has some time ago made some secret arrangements, so the King Hui wouldn't really have his way.

Currently, everybody invited has gone to the hunting ground except for the King Yu. Yesterday when he was on his way back home, the horses of his carriage were abruptly alarmed by a crazy horse and he suffered a minor injury, leaving him unable to participate in the hunt. Also, half of the palace guards have been dispatched there."

Ling Zhang went skeptical. "The King Yu was hurt? This is so coincidental."

Yao Yi observed, "I think someone did it on purpose."

Ling Zhang furrowed his brow. "Who? There are others aware of this?"

Yao Yi shook his head. "Not really. It was Shan Congwen."

Shan Congwen? Ling Zhang was bewildered. Why had Shan Congwen tried to stop the King Yu from going to the hunting ground? Had these two people had any dealings in private, by any chance?

Yao Yi remarked, "The reason is still unknown to us, but it was by no means because Shan Congwen suddenly decided to have mercy on him. There's no doubt he did that for a particular motive."

Ling Zhang pondered over it. The only thing he worried about was whether there was anything that had escaped their notice and, if there was, whether it would upset Yuwen Tong's plan.

Also, the situation in the hunting ground still concerned him, for he was unable to go there to see for himself. But since Yuwen Tong was "grievously wounded" and the whole residential compound was being staked out, it was inconvenient for him to leave.

...

The hunting ground.

Because of the attempted assassination that happened here in the horse race, palace guards in preparation for this event had some time ago checked the whole hunting ground several times, including the perimeter. And on this day the security in this place was exceptionally tight.

The King Hui had anticipated this situation, so he hadn't arranged for any assassins to hide in the hunting ground. Instead, he'd had some explosives planted beneath the grandstand. Meanwhile, 20,000 soldiers who had been dispatched over as a matter of urgency were lying in wait outside the hunting ground, along with the marksmen equipped with the kind of crossbows that Shan Congwen had lent him.

All people in the grandstand would be wiped out in an instant once he detonated the explosives, and the possibility that some might survive the explosion didn't concern him at all, for his men and the marksmen of the Wan Kingdom would immediately hurtle in, making sure nobody escaped. Though there would be some friendly fire, he deemed it necessary sacrifices for his great undertaking.

Shan Congwen as the representative of the Wan Kingdom had some time ago accepted the emperor's special invitation. Like the King Hui, he also had a seat in the grandstand, but the two of them would make an excuse and take their leave as soon as the time was ripe.

The emperor glanced around before his eyes rested on the commander of the palace guards, who gave a nod implying that all defense and security arrangements had been properly handled.