Chapter 487- 489

Chapter 487: A Rest Cure

In a great hurry, a group of courtiers nervously helped the emperor into his carriage and then escorted him back to the imperial bedchamber. Looking at the emperor who was lying in bed unable to move, the courtiers all appeared rather anxious. Wh–Why was this happening? What should they do if the emperor's waist was permanently damaged?

The chairman of the imperial hospital, whose surname was Sun, along with two of the best court physicians, soon arrived with all haste. They said that the room had to be quiet, so the courtiers had no choice but to leave the bedchamber and wait outside. Ling Zhang and the two prime ministers were the only ones staying.

When all the courtiers had left, Ling Zhang looked at the two prime ministers.

The two ministers nodded at him and then quietly moved to the side.

Yuwen Tong sat up, as though the man who had been in too much pain to walk a moment ago were another person.

"Physician Sun, are you ready?" Ling Zhang asked Chairman Sun.

"We're ready, Your Highness," answered Chairman Sun, the other two court physicians standing behind him with their heads down as if pretending they were invisible.

Ling Zhang looked at Yuwen Tong, who rose to his feet, stretched and said, "Now that everything's in readiness, let's begin."

...

An hour later, the doors of the imperial bedchamber opened. The two prime ministers walked out first, followed by Chairman Sun. At the sight of them, the courtiers waiting outside hastened to cluster around them.

"Chairman Sun, how's my father?" inquired Yuwen Qi, Yuwen Yue standing on his right, Yuwen Lin beside her. The little princess, somewhat frightened, put her arms around her big brother's waist, looking into the bedchamber with a mixture of nervousness and fear in her eyes. She attempted to go inside right away but was stopped by Yuwen Qi, who breathed to her, "Wait a moment, Crescent."

After Yuwen Qi asked the question, the others also looked at Chairman Sun.

Chairman Sun replied, "His Majesty is fine."

All the others were relieved at the answer.

"But..."

The others felt their pulse throbbing in their throats again.

"His Majesty hurt his waist. It'll take a two-month rest cure to nurse him back to health. He'll have to lie in bed all the time for the duration, which means he won't be able to preside over any court meetings or deal with any state affairs."

"But he'll fully recover from the injury in two months, right?" Yuwen Qi looked at him.

Chairman Sun inclined his head. "Yes."

Yuwen Qi and Yuwen Lin both heaved a sigh of relief. "Can we go in there to see him?"

"Certainly. His Majesty said that all three of Your Highnesses may go inside directly," responded Chairman Sun.

Yuwen Qi gave a nod and looked at Yuwen Lin and with that the two boys, along with Crescent who had been meaning to get in for quite some time, entered the imperial bedchamber.

Compared with the three young imperial family members who were now relaxed, the courtiers appeared rather tense. One of them asked, "Chairman Sun, His Majesty really can't walk before a full recovery from the wound?"

Chairman Sun shook his head. "He can't. He must lie in bed for a rest cure. Otherwise his health would be severely damaged."

"What should we do? The Wan Kingdom–"