Chapter 409- 411

Chapter 409: The Imperial Wedding (7)

"Kowtow to the gods."

"Kowtow to each other," instructed the presiding official in a drawling voice.

"LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR! LONG LIVE THE EMPRESS!"

As a pleasantly warm breeze blew by, the broad hem of the robes of the two of them fluttered rubbing against each other. They kowtowed at the same time to pay their respects to the gods before all officials present got on their knees to kowtow to the two of them. Thus, they officially got married at this grand ceremony, and from this moment on, the whole world would know them to be the emperor and the empress of the Great Wen.

After the two of them straightened their backs, Ling Zhang inwardly heaved a long sigh of relief in spite of himself, as though something weighing down his heart had just been removed. Arms hanging naturally, their hands were clasped together. Yuwen Tong's palm was so hot that Ling Zhang felt as though his palm would melt in the heat.

"You may rise."

The officials of all ranks and descriptions were given the permission to stand up. After rising to their feet, many of them looked up in the direction of the altar, on which stood the emperor and the empress, the former handsome and imposing, the latter elegant and graceful. The dragon and the phoenix embroidered on their scarlet wedding robes with gold thread were so vivid as though they were about to fly, and they seemed to be inseparable, on the robes or in the sky – if they could really get there.

There was a very long congratulatory speech. Ling Zhang and Yuwen Tong stood on the altar shoulder to shoulder for a very long time before they descended it and made towards the Infinite Fortune Palace hand in hand.

The large crowd of officials chorused in a drawling voice, "Have a safe trip, Your Majesty, Your Highness."

On hearing the enormous sound wave from behind, Ling Zhang came to a clearer realization of the change in his identity.

The two of them walked back to the Infinite Fortune Palace hand in hand. They were supposed to drink "cross-cupped wine" from one another's cups in the imperial bedchamber.

The wedding robes had so many layers and were so heavy that Ling Zhang found his back was wet with sweat when he walked through the front gates of the Infinite Fortune Palace. Fortunately, after the "cross-cupped wine", the wedding would conclude and then he could change into lighter clothes.

He raised his hand and stroked Yuwen Tong's back only to find that it was just as sweaty as his own.

Though the weather was nice this day, it was inevitable that the two of them had broken out in a sweat, given the long duration of the wedding.

Yuwen Tong flung out a hand backward and grabbed Ling Zhang's hand which was "caressing" his back. "I'll let you stroke me later."

One more stroke from Ling Zhang and he might lose control of himself.

Reading between the lines, Ling Zhang slid him a sideways glance. It was just a stroke. Why was Yuwen Tong being so dramatic about it?

At this time a shower of petals floated from mid-air. After entering the Infinite Fortune Palace, they found that the road ahead was carpeted in petals.

Ling Zhang looked up at the falling petals and then down at those veiling the road, faintly surprised. Why couldn't he recall including this part in the wedding plan?

"Why am I seeing petals?"

Yuwen Tong replied smugly, "It was me who had them prepare this. They picked these flowers early this morning. What do you think of it?"