Chapter 496- 498

Chapter 496: The Successful Crossing of the River

Lian Hai gave an affirmative nod. "I can have someone leave from the western gates, take a detour and deliver a message to a store in the city where the nearest garrison is stationed, telling the people there to inform the commander of the garrison, but is it necessary for us to do that? I mean, the new emperor has already set out to handle this matter."

Dugu Shan said, "No, that won't be quick enough. Nian Feng's men could break in at any moment. Is there a quicker way to make contact with them?"

"Well...I can send a carrier pigeon to the store, but there's a risk that the pigeon might be shot down after it flies out of the city. In that case, we won't be able to achieve our objective, and our men might be exposed. Also, if I send one of my men there to inform the garrison, I'm afraid they wouldn't believe him, and neither would they come to our rescue, unless he has a token," replied Lian Hai after pondering for a while.

Dugu Shan's brow corrugated in a frown. Indeed, sending a carrier pigeon was risky.

"I have a suggestion, Your Lordship," said Lian Hai.

"Go on," said Dugu Shan, looking at him.

"You may dispatch the Yuexi garrison here. It'll be slower compared with dispatching the nearest garrison, but firstly there won't be any risks of the carrier pigeon being intercepted, and secondly, when they arrive, they may enter the city through the western city gates to help defend the city, and they could also inform the other garrisons to move south pressuring Nian Feng. But if we do it that way, the Western City Garrison must hold the city gates long enough, and a token will also be necessary," said Lian Hai.

Dugu Shan didn't make a decision immediately. Instead, he started mulling over it.

"If Your Lordship find it inconvenient to make a decision as to this matter, you might as well report it to the new emperor, but...Your Lordship, are you sure you want to do this? If Nian Feng's plan to take the city is thwarted, the new emperor's position will be consolidated, and we won't have any chance of turning the tables on him," said Lian Hai.

Dugu Shan said, "Nian Feng's army is too strong. I'm afraid the Dugu family will come to grief if this city falls."

"Your Lordship, actually...you could try contacting the Yuexi garrison. Isn't the assistant commander of the Yuexi garrison friends with your eldest son? If they agree to offer us assistance, you could totally just have the citizens and your family guards to help the Western City Garrison defend the city gates. After the Yuexi garrison enter the city and apprehend Nian Feng, you'll be able to follow the example of Nian Feng, use the Yuexi garrison to force the emperor into abdicating the throne. In that case, unlike Nian Feng's army who are held back outside the city, the Yuexi garrison will be inside the city, and the emperor will be powerless to resist," said Lian Hai.

Dugu Shan's eyes brightened. "You're right. Guards, go and get my first son here!"

"Yes, Sir!"

Lian Hai slightly lowered his eyes to conceal the significant gleam in them.

No matter whether this plan succeeded or failed, the Yuexi garrison would inevitably have a fight with Nian Feng's men eventually, and there was no doubt both sides would suffer casualties so heavy that neither of them would be able to pose a threat to the Great Wen.

...

When the Luohai Kingdom, due to Mu Hengtian's death, was witnessing Nian Feng's army attacking its capital which was in utter confusion and chaos, Yuwen Tong had successfully led his army across the river.