Chapter 307- 309

Chapter 307: The Emperor's Demise

It was after dark that courtiers left the palace, hurrying towards their respective abodes.

In a residential compound.

"Your Lordship, the garrison of Yanzhou has now been dispatched. Youzhou and Jingzhou are the closest to the capital city, but Youzhou is an important border city, and almost all troops stationed there are under Yuwen Tong's command. Just to the north of Jingzhou is the Luohai Kingdom. There's no telling whether we'll be able to rope in the commander of the military presence in Jingzhou. Even if we manage to convince him, it'd be very inadvisable for us to draft his men here, given the threat from the Luohai Kingdom. As a result, our only option is to try our luck in the south. The garrison in Tanyang is at He Xiao's command, and He Xiao is on bad terms with Yuwen Tong, so I think maybe He Xiao is our guy. What do you say?"

"... Tanyang is where Yuwen Tong's father-in-law lives, and the Ling family has a very solid foundation there. On top of that, Yuwen Tong stayed in Tanyang for a very long time. I did once considered the military presence in Tanyang, but my conclusion is that it's not reliable enough."

"How about Jiangzhou?"

"Jiangzhou is behind Cangzhou and Yanzhou. If the garrison of Jiangzhou is to come, the shortest route would be the one through Cangzhou, but currently we don't even have the faintest idea what the situation is like in Cangzhou."

"No matter what, we must select someone and make a decision as soon as possible, Your Lordship. Yuwen Tong almost has all courtiers on his side now. You saw what the Right Prime Minister and the Minister of War did. Those people have stooped to becoming Yuwen Tong's complete stooges. If we don't take action right away, we might never have another chance."

"Then let's contact them both!"

"Both Tanyang and Jiangzhou? But what if it causes too much noise and Yuwen Tong finds out?"

"That's a risk we must take. We are having this talk right under Yuwen Tong's nose anyway."

...

Cangzhou.

"People of Cangzhou were still living in peace the last time I came here, but now it has been reduced to a city of rubble and refugees," sighed Ji Yin.

After departing from Tanyang, Ji Yin, Ling Zhaowu and the other two had been galloping all along, heading for the capital city. At this moment, they had just entered Cangzhou.

"No wonder people of Tanyang haven't been getting up-to-date messages from the capital city. Cangzhou is now swarming with refugees and rebels, and the main road with robbers taking advantage of the chaos. The thoroughfare leading south is barely passable. It surprises me the situation in Cangzhou is so dire," said Ling Zhaowu.

Except for Mr. Mu and Ling Zhaowu, all of them were kung fu experts, and they had killed almost all those who had tried to rob them. The smell of blood and the murderous air about them had deterred a lot of others who had intended to approach them. If they kept going deeper into Cangzhou, they would encounter more and more robbers and might even run into members of the rebel army.

They had no fear, though. After all, with the two guards and Ji Yin who possessed miraculous powers of laying all kinds of formations, they would definitely be able to make it to the capital city safe and sound, but the sight of the disarray in Cangzhou made them begin to worry about the situation in the capital city.

"I wonder how things are going in the capital city. People there should be the most anxious about the insurrection in Cangzhou. Why are they letting the rebel forces in Cangzhou get stronger? I'm afraid something serious might have happened in the capital city, Father-in-law."