Chapter 292- 294

Chapter 292: An Uncle-Nephew Talk

Ling Zhaowu had quieted down and closed his eyes. Both the acupuncture treatment and the pill that Mr. Mu had given him had served to help him calm down and fall asleep, because this was the only way to have Ling Zhaowu stop digging deep into his memories.

Ji Yin put down Mr. Mu, who was too anxious to adjust his robes, took the medicine chest and fished out the needles again.

...

Two hours later, Mr. Mu walked outside and said wearily, "Since this place was familiar to him, the stimulus he was exposed to this time was more intense than any of the previous ones. In a day or two, after his condition stabilizes, I'll administer the drug to him and then perform acupuncture on him. Right now I need to go and get some sleep, and then I'll start making preparations."

Everybody felt a sense of relief. After solemnly expressing his gratitude to Mr. Mu, Ling Zhaowen personally led him to a guest room to rest.

"Fortunately Mr. Mu is with us. I didn't expect that the painting on the screen wall would stimulate my father's mind so dramatically," said Ling Zhang in a deep voice.

Ling Xingzhong, who seemed to have aged a couple of years in the last few moments, explained, "That painting was finished not long after your birth. To your father, it's the work of all three members of his family."

This was the first time that Ling Zhang had heard about this story behind that painting on the screen wall. During the past so many years, he had never paid any special attention to that painting.

Ji Yin flicked a glance at Ling Zhaowu who was sleeping inside, inwardly sighing. It had been lucky of his daughter to have met a man so infatuated with her, but pity...

"I'm really sorry, In-law. This is the first time that you've come to visit us, but we failed to receive you with due ceremonial."

At the sight of Ji Yin, Ling Xingzhong subdued his grief. This in-law of his was too young – so young that he virtually seemed to be his son's age. Ling Xingzhong felt that this was somewhat unreal, a faraway expression on his face.

Ji Yin said, "That doesn't matter. Currently, treating Zhaowu's illness is the most important thing. We'll have a lot of time to get to know each other after he recovers."

Seeing Ling Xingzhong's tired face, Ling Zhang also said, "Grandfather, how about I walk you back to your room to have some rest? The rest of us will keep a close watch on my father."

Ling Xingzhong shook his head, rose from his seat and headed towards the bedroom. "I want to check on him one more time."

Ling Zhang looked at Ji Yin, who said, "I'll be having a walk in the courtyard. You may go."

Ling Zhang gave a nod, followed Ling Xingzhong into the bedroom, moved a chair to the bedside and helped him sit down.

The very sight of thin, pasty-faced Ling Zhaowu lying in bed made Ling Xingzhong's heart ache. "Your father has been lying like this for over ten years?"

Ling Zhang replied, "Back in that year, my father was severely wounded. The leader of the Millennium Pavilion saved his life by reviving his cardiac meridian but was unable to help him make a quick recovery. He could only use medication to nurse his wounds. In addition, at that time there was probably something troubling my father's mind, something he couldn't let go, so he'd been in a coma for many years, and Mr. Mu had been taking care of his health for the duration. He unblocked my father's meridians on a regular basis, keeping him alive."

Ling Xingzhong inclined his head. After quite a long time, he said, "In the past, I was actually very angry with those people, and I had some complaints against your mother as well, believing that they were the reason why my son lost his mind, ran away from home and remained missing for over ten years. For a time I even thought he was dead. But now, I don't blame them any more. I'm grateful to them for saving your father's life and allowing us to be reunited with him."