Chapter 154- 156

Chapter 154: A Swoop

Face of the owner of the herbal garden instantly changed with horror as he heard that some assassins had shown up. "How–How come some assassins suddenly came to my place?"

He was unaware of the identity of Ling Zhang or Yuwen Tong and just believed that the two of them were childes from some rich family, who had come to his herbal garden for fun but encountered assassins.

"Childe, may I ask what those people wanted? Money or anything else?" The owner of the herbal garden hurriedly asked another question.

Seeing his face had paled visibly with fright, Ling Zhang, though having no idea who it was that had sent the two assassins, believed that the owner of this herbal garden had nothing to do with this incident.

"Those assassins' target was me. I'm sorry for the horror I have put you through."

On hearing these words, the owner of the herbal garden heaved a sigh of relief and replied, "Childe paid a visit to my manor, so you are my guest. I should have done better with the security. Fortunately, you are unharmed, Childe. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to absolve myself from the blame."

The general storekeeper, who had been standing on the side, worried that there might be any other accidents if they stayed in this place, so he said, "How about you have some of your men escort these two honored guests back? I mean, there are too many people here and some of them might not be what they seem. If by any chance there are some other assassins among them, we might have trouble defending against them."

The owner of the herbal garden was unaware of the general storekeeper's consideration, but he was only too anxious to see these two men out of his manor, so he repeatedly inclined his head and responded, "Yeah, yeah... There are too many customers in the teahouse tonight, and we don't know for sure if any of them are assassins in disguise. For the sake of your safety, I'll have my security guards escort you back home."

Yuwen Tong observed, "There's no hurry. Let's wait for my bodyguard to return first and then make a decision. I'd appreciate it if you sent someone to the County Yamen to get some yamen runners here."

Upon saying this, he fished out an ID plate and informed the owner of the herbal garden, "In case there's anything bothering you –take this ID plate with you."

The owner of the herbal garden had a somewhat awkward expression on his face as he heard Yuwen Tong ask him to report this incident to the authorities, but when his eye fell on the ID plate in Yuwen Tong's hand, all the color drained from his face due to fright; his legs buckled and he slumped to his knees. "I let my eyes fall prey to my ignorance and failed to recognize the Grand Marshal. I deserve the death penalty for not having received Marshal with due formality!"

'Marshal?! This is Marshal Yuwen?'

All others were taken aback. Seeing the owner of the manor kneeling on the ground, they also slumped to their knees.

At this time, legs of the owner of the herbal garden were trembling violently with fear. The very thought that Marshal Yuwen had encountered assassins in his manor nearly sent him unconscious.

'The–Then the man standing beside the Marshal is Childe Ling, Marshal Yuwen's betrothed?

Though it was not the Marshal himself that those assassins tried to kill, there will still be dire consequences!'

While everybody was shuddering with fear, Yuwen Tong's voice was heard. "There's no need for such a high level of formality, and no blame attaches to the unconscious doer of wrong, but since there are assassins in this place, we shall show them no indulgence. Have this manor surrounded immediately. Make sure every inch is searched and nobody goes out of this place without being questioned first!"