Chapter 560- 561

Chapter 560: Spin-Off – A Journey to the South Ocean (18)

Ji Yanlai did not seem to be many years his senior ... Well, actually he was. Ling Zhang had almost forgotten that Ji Yanlai was about Yuwen Tong's age, though he did not know for sure which one of them was older. It was because of Ji Yanlai's powerful internal energy that he appeared so young. Previously, when Ji Xiaocong and Ji Yanlai had stood together, people could tell that they were uncle and nephew, but now the two of them looked like brothers ...

Ji Yanlai was unwilling to continue talking about his father. It seemed that his father's actions were giving him headaches. Ling Zhang, however, was becoming more and more curious about this former clan leader whom he had only heard some rumors about.

The couple of elders of the Millennium Pavilion were handling the matter with high efficiency. After less than an hour, they undid the Formation.

The moment the Formation was undone, what had been hidden behind it was revealed.

Dead bodies were strewn higgledy-piggledy over the whole area. The carpet of corpses covered the streets, the corridors and stretched all the way to the palace in the center which was the highest building in the city.

These dead bodies were the very source of the rank odor Ling Zhang and the others were smelling.

However, the odor was mixed with a peculiar fragrance, which was why it smelled so weird ...

Ling Zhang and some others had psyched themselves up for this, so they were not surprised. But those blindsided by the combination of the sight of these dead bodies and the funky odor were on the verge of vomiting. Some directly threw up.

"Wha–What's going on?" The King of the South Ocean almost fainted for the pungent foul smell.

"This fragrance ... " Ji Yanlai's eyes suddenly became wary.

"Clan Leader!" called Ji Yin, emerging from around a corner. "There's a whole Soul-Devouring Tree here."

"I knew it," muttered Ji Yanlai coldly.

A Soul-Devouring Tree? Ling Zhang had never heard of this kind of thing before. "What's that?"

"A tree that emits a hallucinogenic fragrance which can cause people to lose their minds. They became extinct a very long time ago, leaving only some items made of wood from their trunks, which are normally used as tools for mind control. In the Xia Dynasty, an evil warlock once used a statue of Buddha made of that kind of wood to manipulate Buddhists. He controlled over a thousand people's minds with that statue, reducing them to his marionettes, and did a lot of inhumane things," replied Ji Yanlai.

A mere tool made of wood from a Soul-Devouring Tree could be used to control that many people's minds, and in this place, there was a whole tree ...

Ling Zhang felt that he was in over his head.

"Can it be destroyed?"

"Yeah. We can just burn it."

Ji Yanlai looked at Ji Yin, who said, "This way."

Following in Ji Yin's wake, they weaved their way through dead bodies strewn across the ground to an open space on the other side, in the middle of which was a well beside which was a tree that seemed to have long since died. The tree had only its trunk left, looking bare and inconspicuous, but they smelled a bizarre scent emanating from it at their approach.

Ling Zhang took Yuwen Tong by the arm. "Don't get any closer to it."

They had brought flints with them. Yuwen Tong gave the order for the tree to be burnt. Not until flames shot up the trunk did Ling Zhang feel relieved.