Can a heart break once it stopped beating?

Skulduggery Pleasant. That name alone could strike fear in some of the most evil villains. Skulduggery Pleasant. The man who had come back to life purely from rage. He was truly a man to be scared of.

But even though he had a dark past, he was the most amazing, courageous, kind-hearted man Valkyrie Cain had ever met. When she was twelve he took her on as his partner and she proved to him she was the strongest girl Skulduggery had ever met. Her determination and courage were truly something to be proud of. Valkyrie had grown into a beautiful young woman and everyone would be jealous of her amazingly good looks.

Skulduggery Pleasant thought about her all day, everyday . She was the only thing on his mind when he walked towards that accelerator. He could hear her cries of pain from behind him, "I love you!" those words echoed through his skull and he felt his non existent heart breaking. He remembered watching a movie with her. Corpse bride, if he remembered correctly. There was a certain line that he always thought about "Can a heart still break, once its stopped beating?". He thought about it as he opened the accelerator door. He took one last glance at Valkyrie who was on the floor crying her eyes out and he couldn't help but feel guilty but over all the other feelings one over took them all.

Love.

He hadn't felt like this since his wife died. He didn't know how much pain Valkyrie was in, but he couldn't turn back. Not now. This was it for him, he had lived through many amazing times and saved the world multiple times. Ghastly was dead, Anton was dead, Erskine was dead to him. He felt hollow inside, he had lost so many important people in his life and it was time to go to them. Skulduggery knew he couldn't leave Valkyrie like this so he rushed over to her, turned on his façade and gently kissed her lips, "Until the end." he whispered and looked into her teary eyes. There was a hidden meaning behind those words, "I love you." He turned back to the accelerator and stepped inside and took one last glance at the love of is life. A tear rolled down his waxy face as he faced her. He finally had an answer for the question he had never stopped thinking about...

A heart could break after it stopped beating. Beca