208

Advice Request
This person really wants to help out their friend.

Answered Submission
Hi,

I understand why you’re scared because an overdose is not a light matter.

Here is how you can help her:
1. Tell her parents.
As her parents, they deserve to know the urgent situation their daughter is currently in. By telling them, they can immediately support your friend and help her to get better.
2. Seek professional help for her.
Professionals know what they have to do when it comes to these cases, because it is what they are trained for. She may get mad at you at first for doing this, but you have to be patient, and try to make her meet the professional help. You can discuss this with her parents.
3. Support her.
It’s okay if you don’t know the right things to say, because, as you have said, this is the first time you have dealt with this. The most important thing to do for now is to support her. Don’t leave her alone when you're needed. Tell her that you’re there for her every time she needs you.

Whatever happens, don’t strain yourself too much, and remember to take care of your own mental and physical health. If you feel like everything becomes too much for you, do try to talk about it to other people that you care about, like your parents, your family, or your other friends.

Also, remember that whatever decision your friend has made isn’t a fault of yours. You can try to influence her to do something, but you can never force her to follow your thoughts.

Just try your best, and pray for the best.

With lots of love,

The Advice Column Team