265

Advice Request
This person isn't sure how to tell her friend that she likes him.

Answered Submission
Hello, Dear!

Thank you for coming to us for advice, and, like always, we are very glad that you recognized you needed someone else's help. Props to you. As for your advice, here it is!

The best way I feel a confession should work is with you two being alone together and you saying that you really like him and would like to try things out with him. Just be straight up and tell him that. You want to be alone, just in case he doesn't reciprocate your feelings and panics, which is when he might embarrass you in front of others. This is not to say that he doesn't like you. Based off of what you have said, he probably does, but, again, also like you said, it could be you overreacting to everything he does. This is pretty normal when you have a crush. If he accepts, try it out because you don't really know him, and you won't know him until he chooses to talk to you about himself, which happens on dates.

If he rejects you, it's going to sting, and I completely understand that. What you shouldn't do is start to cry in front of him, ask him why he doesn't like you back, or anything along those lines; you get where I'm going with this. You just have to push the pain back until you get home, and then I do believe most people would cry, but sometimes, people get really angry. Don't put yourself in either of those situations because then you'll be playing with fire. So when you get home, sit down, and think. Eventually, you're going to come to the point where you realize it's not worth spending all that time moping around over someone who won't ever do the same if positions were reversed. Then you move on. Get involved in something with friends, bake, clean the house, go on walks, join a sport, go rockclimbing—anything to distract you until you feel good (which I guarantee you, you will). I hope everything works out with you and with everything you attempt to do in the future.

All the best,

The Advice Column Team