364

Advice Request

This person is questioning their sexuality.

Answered Submission 

Hey!

I know how it feels to be questioning your sexuality, even after you thought you were sure about it. My first piece of advice would be to not be so hard on yourself about it. I know you've said that you don't live in a very accepting place, and that makes it more difficult for you to be who you truly are, but at the end of the day, you don't need to tell the world about your sexuality. As long as you have support from your family and/or your friends, then they're the only people who matter. Honestly, you don't even need to have your sexuality completely figured out. Labels are overrated anyway.

I would suggest that you speak with your friend and explain why you rejected her. Was it because you were confused about yourself? Were you scared of what others would think? If you still think you have feelings for her, ask her if she still feels the same too. If you both like each other, then that's great! This is where you would take things slowly and allow your feelings for each other to develop, however that may be. You trust her a lot, so I'm sure that if you weren't comfortable expressing your relationship in public just yet, then she would understand and support you.

I know it's easier said than done, but ignore what people might think of you. They're too close minded to even deserve an ounce of your thoughts and worries. I think once you stop trying to label your sexuality, you'll become less confused because you won't need to fit under a certain category. I'm sure you'll find that you'll be happier that way.

The only person you can be is yourself—whoever that might be—so be proud of that person. Be proud of you! 

With love,

The Advice Column Team