285

Advice Request
The requester has been blackmailed into doing something wrong and now that they have stood up to the perpetrator, they are scared they will commit suicide.

Answered Submission
Hello,

I'm sorry you and your friends had to go through something like that. However, you guys shouldn't have let it get this far. Things crossed the line the moment J began making senseless demands and went further beyond the line when you complied. Nevertheless, I understand how hard it must have been not to oblige seeing as he was threatening with lives. At least you finally stood up for him now. That's a good step forward in untangling yourself from this problem.

I believe it's time to inform an adult, whether it's a trusted teacher, your parents, his parents, or even the authorities (like the police) if you have to.

From what I understand, J uses this method (threatening to take away his own life or yours) to get what he wants. Trying to help or reach out to him would mean taking the bait and getting sucked back into his spiral of demands. Don't let him manipulate you again the way he managed to do for nearly an entire year. Therefore, I suggest you don't try to personally make a move to help him. I get that you must be scared that he might harm himself (seeing as J was your friend at some point) but what he does shouldn't be your responsibility. You should worry about yourself as well. J is clearly not a stable or safe person to be around. He has pushed you into committing illegal activity and that's enough reason to steer clear of him. You are certainly not responsible for this person or his well-being.

Inform an adult of the situation then stand back and allow them to handle it with the right methods. That's the best thing you could do.

Good luck,
The Advice Column