317

Advice Request
This person is afraid of being accused of something they did not do.

Answered Submission
Hi!

First all, thank you for trusting us with giving you advice again; it really means a lot to the team. 

In regards to your parents: all they want to know is that you are safe and well, so them thinking and believing that you were watching porn won't go unmentioned until they have seen for sure that you weren't watching it. Parents just want to protect their kids, and I know it might seem that they don't trust you, but this is a big deal to them if they think you were looking at it.

I know it's not the best or the most honest option, but is there any way you can delete your internet history of just the coming out as pansexual parts? That way, you won't need to come out before you are ready. If you can't and they still don't believe you and want to look at your history, then it might be a case of having to let them see what you were searching for. I understand how scary it is for something like this to happen, but in my opinion, the fact that you were searching how to come out could mean that you are almost ready to tell people about your sexuality—you just aren't sure how to. And I know that this wouldn't be the best situation to come out as pansexual, but maybe it's just the push in the right direction that you needed.

Another thing you could do instead of them looking through your history is for you to show them what you were looking at. I know this would be scarier than letting them find it themselves, but at least this way you regain a bit of control over something that is yours to tell, and they will be able to trust you because you've come forward and showed them yourself.

I hope this helps. Don't be afraid of who you are, and always be yourself.

Good luck,

The Advice Column Team