212

Advice Request
This person is in love with a person they just met a few days back.

Answered Submission
Hello there!

I can confirm from your story that he does have feelings for you. I don’t think there’s harm in getting his number, right? You both have feelings for each other, after all. But, of course, there is a 'but.' Before any of you proceed to be in a relationship, I think it’s better that the two of you stay friends first. Get to know him. I know you've already known him before this, even in such a short time, but personally, I don’t think
proceeding into a relationship after knowing someone for a short time is a good idea. If he really likes or loves you, he will wait.

I know that some people will say, ‘What? You both like each other, so just date already.’ However, you have to know what you’re getting yourself into when dating someone. From your story, I am quite sure that he is not living near you, so if you’re dating him, you’ll be having a long distance relationship. Long distance relationships are possible, but difficult. To make it possible, you have to establish a strong connection—a strong trust in each other and strong communication. After all, these are a couple of the many pillars in having a healthy, everlasting relationship.

He sounds like someone who gets jealous easily, which he showed when he didn’t want to talk to you after that kid started a rumour. This is something that will be problematic, if he keeps on trusting rumours before asking you. So take the time to build trust with each other.

Dating someone also takes up a lot of your time. Dating isn’t as easy as some people make it sound. You have to work for it, but if someone is really worth it, you won’t mind it at all; at the end of the day, you're together with the person you love.

So, before proceeding with anything else, be friends with him and get to know him. Establish all of the things that are needed when dating.

I’m not scaring you off from starting anything with him, but we have to take care of ourselves first before anything. It’s better to be prepared than to be left heartbroken when things don’t work out. But after some time, if you think it is okay and he’s really worth it, go for it.

I hope everything works out well!

Love,

The Advice Column Team