389

Advice Request
This person recently started self harm but is not sure why they are doing it.

Answered Submission
Hey!

First of all, your counsellor will not hate you if you tell them. They are there to help you and cannot judge or hate you, so tell your counsellor about it. They'll definitely help you with it and help you talk through your worries, problems, and feelings.

People cut for different reasons. I know you say you don't know why or how you thought it would be good to start, but there is probably a part of you that needs a way to cope/get relief from your problems. Talking to your counsellor will help you figure this out, even if you think it won't, or even if you think you don't know why you turned to cutting. Once you start talking about it with someone, the cause of it will become clearer, and you'll be able to work towards solving the problem.

In the meantime, if you can't talk to your counsellor straight away, try to find some alternatives to cutting. For example, you could draw with a marker on the part of your body that you feel like cutting. Go for a walk with someone (e.g. a friend or a parent). You wouldn't need to tell them why if you don't want to; you could just tell them you feel like going for a walk. If you have a pet, stroke them. Play music and dance. Do anything that will take your mind off the urge to cut, and focus your attention on something else. If and when you figure out what's causing you to want to cut, try to avoid that situation.

I definitely advise you to speak to your counsellor about it. I cannot stress enough that they won't hate you; they are there to help you. Seeking help from your counsellor might also reduce your fear that you could kill yourself because you'll be getting the help that you need to prevent these feelings. Your counsellor will help you.

With love,

The Advice Column Team