368

Advice Request
This person thinks that they might be depressed.

Answered Submission
Hello, Sweetheart.

I just want to let you know that you're not alone. I can relate to you on such a huge level. I think depression comes when a person latches onto the feeling of sadness in addition to everything that happens in a person's life.

First of all, you need to stop cutting. No matter how much it hurts, cry it all out. Cry however much you want, but when you are done, wipe those tears fiercely and promise yourself that you're never going to let things get to you like that (even if they somehow do).

There's one big step you have to take here: you have to stop letting people's words get into your head. Stop giving people's thoughts and words so much priority that they do nothing but harm you. Others may think it's selfish, but you have to prioritize yourself and your happiness first before thinking about others. This doesn't mean you should make people feel bad, but if someone doesn't make you feel the way you should feel (i.e. happy), then take a step back and give that love to yourself than to the person concerned. And what is the best way to do that than to constantly remind yourself that YOU are worthy of good, YOU are worthy of happiness, and YOU are worth everything that is best; so don't ever think otherwise or feel insecure.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't spoken to my ex-best friend in months either. While it does hurt at some point, you have to remind yourself why you call them your "ex-best friend" to begin with.

My advice for you is to stop giving a damn about people because they don't give a damn either. So chill, and just do you.

I hope you feel better and get out of depression soon. It might take time, but never think of hurting yourself just because this one person, or that one group of people, 'thinks' a certain way about you.

Love yourself, and do it generously.

The Advice Column Team