383

Advice Request
The requestor has been feeling down and useless and thinks they may have bipolar disorder, but aren't getting any help or support.

Answered Submission
Hey!

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. I know from personal experience that it is truly horrible to feel like that, but please believe me when I say that you will start to feel better soon. I never thought I would be able to feel any better, but I do now.

The fact that you and your parents think that you have a disorder—whether it be bipolar or something else—is a good starting point for you to continue to press the subject of seeking professional help. You can use the fact that they think you have a disorder to your advantage since you can tell that them that, if they have noticed the changes in you, then there really must be something there that needs to be seen to. If they are still refusing to take you to see a professional purely on the beliefs of your grandmother, then try to explain to them that they wouldn't allow a potential broken bone to go unseen and would want a professional to treat it before it got worse; this is the same for your mental health. I think at this point, you have to continue to express that any other illness would need treatment, and so does your mental health, or else it can get worse.

I'm sorry that your family is acting like they don't love you anymore. I'm sure that not's true though. I'm sure they still love you, and your feelings are probably being caused by your mental health. I know it's hard feeling like they aren't supporting you and your career choices. Mine were the same way. However, once I proved to them how much I wanted it and that I was making the right decisions, showed them how much I believed in what I was doing and how passionate I was about my choices, they came around to the idea. I think this is all you have to do in this situation; you just have to continue to support yourself and show them that you are serious about the choices that you are making. If they continue to make you feel unsupported, try sitting down with them and maturely discussing it all with them. At least this way, everyone will be able to voice their feelings and any concerns they may have.

Also, continue to work towards your goals and aspirations, regardless of what others think of them. At the end of the day, you are doing this for yourself and not them, and it's your future and your happiness. That's what is most important here: you and your happiness. So keep doing all of the things that you love to do because they make you happy!

With love,
The Advice Column Team