331

Advice Request
The requester lives in a politically divided area and has expressed their views, leaving them feeling unsafe.

Answered Submission
Hi there,
I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling in this situation. It must be awful that it seems like nothing is being done about it, even though you have expressed your concerns to your superiors.

I would suggest that you keep trying to talk to your principal and continue to explain how you are feeling. Eventually, your principal will understand how serious this situation is and will do something about it. In the meantime, you say that you love your culture, so you could ask your principal or one of your teachers if it would be okay for you to do a small presentation about you and your culture.

If people understand your culture and see that they are in the wrong for making you feel that way, then they're more likely to befriend you. If a presentation makes you feel uncomfortable, you could aim to explain your culture and how much it means to you to a couple of people at a time.

I also think that if you explain to a few students how you're feeling they'll understand and help you feel more comfortable and safe. I'm sure that no one is making you feel unsafe on purpose. They really would change their thoughts and actions if you told them that you don't feel as safe as you used to.

Things will get sorted out soon. Fate has a funny way of sorting things out.

With love,
The Advice Column