249

Advice Request
This person wants to start online schooling but does not know how to bring up the topic to her parents.

Answered Submission
Hey, Love!

I totally get how this must feel for you, and don't mistake this as pity, by the way. It's terrible; I completely understand. It absolutely sucks to not be able to express what you've wanted to say for the longest time, and then it comes out completely wrong, and you end up beating yourself up over it afterwards. Based off of what you have told me, it seems like you would be the perfect person for a private school with small classes or online ones, so you're definitely in the right direction. As to how to bring it up, I suggest when they ask you about school, as you normally do, just say that you have a proposal for them, and you'd like to talk about it to both of them over dinner (or something along those lines). When the time for the dinner comes, say that you're probably going to stutter and mess up a bit, and ask politely for them to not interrupt until you're done with your spiel. Then you can continue by saying everything you've told me here and giving your reasons for wanting this. Before doing this, though, make sure you have a plan of action, as in a school that you want to attend (for example, Connections Academy in California is very good). Try your best to convince them in the ways that only a child can convince their parents, and you'll be set.

Some additional advice: if you're having trouble with speeches, conversations, and the like, then I suggest joining Toastmasters (they are everywhere), or one of the chapters of the National Speech Association, FBLA, or Debate. You'll start off a bit shaky, but the people there tend to really inspire you and can help you with your social skills.

Best of luck to you in this and all your endeavors!

With love,

The Advice Column Team