400

Advice Request
This person is concerned about their younger brother.

Answered Submission

First of all, we would like to apologize to you for the delay of this answer to your request. We'll try our best to increase the quality of our service after this.

Moving on to your request, it does look rough. This has affected your home life so much but when you tried to talk to your parents about it, they didn't seem like they wanted to cooperate with you.

As for the behaviour of your brother, I cannot exactly say what is happening with him. Without me knowing him, there may be a lot of reasons why he's behaving that way. I can only assume.

I could say that whatever it is, your brother is indeed going through something just like you said. He may have a problem that you don't have any knowledge on so what my advice would be for you to help him is to befriend him.

Try to be nice to him and, little by little, try to become friends with him. Make him know that you want to help and you see him as a human and not just as a little boy who keeps in throwing tantrums every single day. Him behaving that way might be his way of coping with whatever he's going through. He's a young boy. It would be weird if his coping mechanism is to get drunk.

As a sibling, my advice for you is to try to be friends with him and find out what's going on with him. Show him that you're there to support him. If he actually tells you what's been bothering him, it would be easier for you to get to the bottom of the problem.

It's going to be a hard thing to do but my next advice is to not give up. He might be a little hard to deal with at first, since you said that he's been ignoring people around him, but don't let that stop you.

Lastly, my advice is to try to bring this topic to your parents once again. Try to approach it more carefully this time and in a different method than what you've been trying before.

I know you've tried before but I feel like it would be good for you to try one last time because, after all, they're your parents and this problem affects the whole family.

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck with your brother.

Love,The Advice Column