311

Advice Request
This person is having friend issues.

Answered Submission
Hi,

I'm sorry you had to experience such a thing. Being ditched by a friend for someone else isn't an easy thing to deal with, especially when you can't find any other friends.

If you truly don't see yourself being friends with anyone else in your class, then you've only got two choices: either you befriend someone from a different class (even if that means only seeing them during mutual breaks), or you find a way of being content on your own.

Before you make your decision regarding those options, I suggest you have one last look at your classmates. You never know what you might find if you look close enough. Sure, the majority may be nasty but there may also be a few people who are just lost amidst all that nastiness.

People aren't always as horrible as they may seem. Try getting to know some of them better. Even the two friends you mentioned, get to know them more. You don't have to stick to one friend immediately. Allow yourself a chance to socialize with as many people as possible before shimmering it down to a friend with a capital F.

It's inevitable that people change. People who you think will stay by your side forever can one day end up being the people who are the farthest away from you, and vice versa. It hurts, but it's reality. Which is all the more reason for you to build more than one friendship at a time, even if they may not all be the ideal friendship you have in mind.

Good luck!
The Advice Column