387

Advice Request
The requestor is confused about starting a relationship.

Answered Submission
Hello there!

I hope that I can help you clear a little bit of that confusion. To start off, if I were you, I would ask myself this: Do I want to date him? What would I do if he begins dating someone else? Do I want him more or do I want a girlfriend more?

Liking someone for ten months is not a short time. I believe that if you confessed to him and he wants to be in a relationship with you, it would be good to have a try. If things ever get awkward with your crush, you could tell him what you've told him. As your best friend, there's a high chance he would understand where you're coming from.

At your age, it's normal to want a girlfriend or boyfriend. It's normal to feel alone if some of your friends have begun dating. It's the same thing that I had experienced before back when I used to be your age. There's also that impending worry where I would think: What if no one will ever like me?

Let me tell you, you're still young. You're going to meet loads of different people and there will bound to be someone who will like you. These thoughts of loneliness might also be the reason why you are confused on your current situation about liking your crush but at the same time wanting to have a girlfriend. Yes, all these thoughts would worry you from time to time, but I think having a girlfriend or boyfriend at your age is not really important.

Personally I think what is important to do at your age is to learn more about yourself and develop yourself as a person. I'd heard a lot of people who are in a relationship at an early age that wish they did not get into it because their lives had revolved so much around their partner that they didn't have any idea of who they were outside of the relationship.

If you do want a girlfriend or boyfriend in the near future, it would be something completely okay to do. It's different for everyone. There are also people who learn more about themselves when they're in a relationship.

In the end, it's okay to date at a young age as long as you don't let that relationship be the sole thing that matters in your life. Focus time on yourself, your friends, your families, your studies and also your hobbies. I know that's a lot of things, but all of those are the things that matter in your life.

I hope this helps!

Love,
The Advice Column