283

Advice Request
This person is feeling self- conscious and is lacking confidence.

Answered Submission
Hi,

I know it's not easy to ignore being made fun of, but that's truly the best option when it comes to teasing. The people who mock you either do it because they expect to seem cooler and more dominant to others or because they feel the need to draw up a negative reaction from someone they think they are qualified to judge. In both cases it isn't your fault that you're being made fun of, so try not to let their words get to you. You made a simple mistake that nearly anyone could make. If they don't have the heart to help you instead of mocking you, then they're the ones in the wrong.

As for confidence, that's something you need to work on. Start out by loving and accepting yourself. Think of the things you're good at doing and work on them. Look at yourself and find as many things as you can that are praise-worthy. Don't put yourself down, instead, value yourself. Know that you are much more than a "nerd" or a "girly girl". You're a human being and there's much more to you than just that, so work on being who you really are instead of worrying about what you are to others.

It may also help to make a good friend. Try approaching a classmate you think is nice. Talk to them about anything. You may never know how close you could become to someone and how much it helps until you try it. Not only will a friend boost your confidence, but they'll also be there for you at all the right times.

Good luck,
The Advice Column