24. Depression

There is nothing like depression. It paralyzes me. It consumes me with sadness. All I want to do is sleep. I don't want to talk, in fact, I don't want to do anything.

I was scared to tell Shawn that I had depression when we first started dating, but he was so kind and caring about it, and he was concerned about me. I told him that I was fine at the moment, that my depression wasn't bothering me, which was the truth.

Shawn and I have been dating for five years now and we have a house together. We've talked about the future, like kids and marriage, and there's no one else that I would rather have all of that with other than Shawn. Shawn understands me and knows how I am when I get depressed. He does everything that he can to cheer me up, but he usually just ends up holding me, especially since I feel safe in his arms.

"Shawn?" I found the strength to call out his name.

"Yes my love?" He said.

"Can you come here please? I... I need you." I said, hoping he wouldn't take that sexually, which of course he did.

"I need you too baby." He said as he started to kiss my neck.

"No Shawn. I meant that I need you in here with me." I said.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I'm depressed." I whispered, tears coming to my eyes.

"Oh my darling, come here." He said as he held his arms wide open for me to come into. He held me like that for hours as I cried and fell asleep. I was scared that he would leave the bed while we were laying together, but he never did. He stayed with me the whole time and I will be forever grateful for that.