82. Hospital

I was sitting in my room in the house that I grew up in when I started to feel hungry. I looked at the time. It wasn't even eleven o'clock. I decided to wait a bit before I had lunch. Lunch time came around and I put together about seven chicken nuggets. As I was getting the plate out, I heard the door open. I soon heard Shawn talking to my mother.

"Hi Y/m/n! Where's Y/n?" Shawn asked.

"I'm in the kitchen sweetheart." I yelled loud enough for him to hear, but not too loud.

"Hi beautiful." Shawn said as he walked into the kitchen and gave me a kiss.

"Hi handsome." By now I was heating up my food in the microwave. When I took it out and Shawn saw that I had seven chicken nuggets, his face scrunched up. "What? You don't like the smell? You've never minded it before." I said.

"No, it's just... don't you think that it's a bit much?" Shawn asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Don't you think it's too much food for you?" Shawn asked. Wow. He knows that I'm insecure, especially about my weight. How dare he say something like that.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Don't take it personally babe, I'm just saying." Shawn said.

"Don't take it personally? Shawn you know I'm insecure about my weight and yet you say that? How dare you." I said.

"Babe I didn't mean it like that." Shawn said, quickly defending himself.

"Then how did you mean it Shawn?" I asked.

"I... I don't even know how I meant it. I didn't mean for it to come off like I was talking about your weight though. I'm sorry honey." Shawn said.

"I think I need to be alone for a little bit and go for a drive. Here, have some food." I said as I shoved the plate into Shawn's hands, grabbed my car keys, and stormed out of the house.

I got into my car and buckled up. I drove off my street, not sure of where I was driving to, but all I knew was that I needed to go for a drive. I decided to go visit a bench in the city that was dedicated in honor of my uncle after he had passed away. I had to drive on the highway to get there. I pulled onto the highway and found that I was taking the turns automatically. It was muscle memory, I knew exactly where I was going. My mind wandered to my fight with Shawn. Had I done the right thing by storming out? As soon as I brought my attention back to the road, a car crashed into me, and I blacked out.

Shawn's point of view

I was sitting in Y/n's bedroom, tugging at my curls. I was feeling so mad at myself for saying what I said. I never should have made that comment. I wasn't meaning to make it sound like she's fat, I just thought that it was a lot of food. My phone soon rang, and even though I didn't recognize the number, I had a feeling that I should answer it.

"Hello?" I said.

"Is this Mr. Mendes?" A deep voice asked me.

"Yes it is." I said.

"Hi this is Dr. Collins from (local hospital name), we regret to inform you that your girlfriend Y/f/n Y/l/n was in a car accident and is here. She has some broken ribs, a concussion, and some bruises but other than that she's okay." The doctor said. My heart was racing. This was all my fault.

"I'll be right there." I said and hung up. I had to go tell Y/m/n, Y/n's mom.

"Y/m/n, Y/n has been a car accident. She's at (hospital name). Do you want me to take you to see her?" I asked.

"Yes please." Y/n's mother said, a look of panic on her face. We got ready and headed out. On the way there I explained what happened and why it was all my fault.

"Shawn, you can't blame yourself. You said the wrong thing, so what? She left because she was upset and who knows what happened when she was driving or where she was driving to. You can't blame yourself." Y/m/n said. She had already called other family members to tell them what was going on.

"You're right. I just feel so bad." I said.

"Shawn you can't. Let's just get to her and you can talk to her." She said.

"Okay." I said. We pulled up to the hospital and parked the car.

"We're here for Y/f/n Y/l/n's room please?" Y/m/n asked the lady at the desk.

"Room 302." The lady said. We thanked her.

"I'll let you go in first Shawn." Y/m/n said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Positive. You need to talk to her." She said. I walked into Y/n's room and my heart broke. She was asleep and was wearing a hospital gown. I could see the hospital bracelet on her wrist. The blame came back. I did this to her. I sat down in the chair next to her bed and held her hand. I rubbed it with my thumb. She soon stirred and looked over at me.

"Shawn? What are you doing here?" Y/n asked.

"I got a call from the hospital that you were in a car accident and that you were brought here. I'm so sorry that I did this to you baby girl. I didn't mean to upset you, I didn't mean to make you leave. I'm so sorry." I said, tears running down my face. Y/n went to wipe them away but winced when she went to move. My heart broke.

"It's okay Shawn, it's not your fault. It's mine. I wasn't paying attention to the road and then I crashed. It's my fault Shawn, not yours." She said. I wiped the tears off my own face and nodded. I put my hand to her face and rubbed her cheek. She nuzzled her face into my hand, causing me to smile.

"Where were you driving to anyways?" I asked out of curiosity.

"My uncle's bench." She said. I nodded slowly. She only went there in the summer and spring and it was late winter. This was rare of her.

"So you were heading into the city?" I asked. She nodded her head, which was probably aching.

"Shawn, is anyone else waiting for me? I'm really tired." She said.

"I know you are sweetie. Do you want me to get your mom?" I asked. Y/n nodded. I headed out to the waiting room. Y/m/n stood up. "We talked and we're okay now. She was heading into the city to visit her uncle's bench. She's really tired." I said.

"I'll be quick then. Do you want to stay in her room as she sleeps? I'm sure they'll let you." She asked. I nodded. Y/m/n was quick as I checked with the nurses, making sure that I could at least sit in the chair while my baby girl slept. They said yes. I went into the room and sat down.

"Can I sleep now honey?" Y/n asked me. I nodded.

"Go to sleep baby girl. I'll be right here when you wake up, I promise. I love you." I said.

"Okay. I love you too." She said. I kissed her forehead as she closed her eyes. I'm so lucky that my beautiful and amazing girlfriend is still alive. I'll love her forever.