92. Another Baby

Two years ago, my husband Shawn and I had our baby girl, Rose Lucille Mendes. Shawn and I have always wanted to have more than one child, and I've been having baby fever lately. I decided to talk to Shawn about having another baby. I wanted a boy this time.

    "Rose eat your veggies." I said.

    "No!" She yelled. That was her new favorite word and it was driving me insane. The terrible twos are real. I couldn't wait for Shawn to get home because she had him wrapped around her little finger and he would do whatever she wanted him to do. Shawn soon walked in through the door and came up to give me a kiss. My heart raced, I got butterflies, and I felt sparks. After eight years together, we're still madly in love.

    "Hi baby. How are my girls?" Shawn asked while walking over to give his daughter a kiss on the forehead.

    "Well daddy, our new favorite word is no and we won't eat our veggies." I said.

    "Is that so?" Shawn asked while looking at Rose and her plate which was still full of food.

    "I won't eat them Daddy." Rose said.

    "What if I feed you?" Shawn asked.

    "Okay." Rose said. Is she serious? She won't eat for me but she will for him? I felt frustrated and stepped out of the room, needing a breather. When he was done feeding her, Shawn came to the family room where I was sitting.

    "What's wrong darling?" Shawn asked.

    "She always says no to me, but the second you come home, she says yes. I feel like I'm a bad parent." I said. Maybe we shouldn't have another baby.

    "Honey, you are not a bad parent. She's just going through the terrible twos. I don't know why she says no to you and yes to me but you're not a terrible parent. Come on, let's put her down for her nap and then we can spend time together." Shawn said. I nodded my head.

    "Okay." I said. We put her down for her nap and then went into our bedroom to talk and cuddle. "Hey Shawn?" I asked.

    "Yes darling?" He asked.

    "Can we talk about something?" I asked, suddenly feeling nervous and anxious.

    "Of course." He said.

    "I, um, well... Sorry I'm just nervous." I said.

    "Baby girl you can tell me anything. What's on your mind?" Shawn asked.

    "I want another baby." I blurted out while looking at Shawn. Shawn thought for a moment before smiling.

    "Really?" Shawn asked.

    "Yeah, I've been getting baby fever lately. Do you want another baby or no?" I asked, still feeling nervous even though he was smiling.

    "Of course I want another baby. How about this, Rose is going to your mom's this weekend, and we can use that time to practice making another baby. That sound good?" Shawn said while rubbing my arm.

    "That sounds perfect." I said. That weekend, we did exactly as we said we would, and practiced making a baby.

......

    A month and a half has passed since Shawn and I have started to try to have a baby and I keep having morning sickness. My period is late, and I'm having all the symptoms of a pregnancy. Could I be pregnant? I took a pregnancy test and it came out positive. Now I just have to tell Shawn. I didn't feel as nervous this time around because we had been trying so hard for this baby, and I know that Shawn and I are ready. Shawn came home soon. I had put the positive pregnancy test in a little box. Rose was at Karen and Manny's for the weekend. She loves her grandparents.