36. For Shannon

"Shannon," Shawn said, making me look away from the road at him briefly before looking back at the road "I don't want to go to the beach."

"Oh come on Shawn," I said "It will be fun. I promise."

"Alright." He said, not looking anymore convinced. I know that Shawn's biggest fear is the deep water, but I figure that taking him to the beach will help him get over that fear. I just want to help him.

When we got to the beach, we laid out our stuff and relaxed on our towels for about ten minutes before I finally got Shawn to come into the water. We were having fun, swimming a little, but mostly splashing each other, when suddenly, things took a turn for the worse.

Shawn's foot got caught on something, and his head went underwater. I panicked but I could feel my adrenaline rushing as I went to help Shawn. I found the strength to pull him up and out of the water and back onto the sand. He wasn't breathing. Oh my gosh. No, this can't be happening. I had to give him CPR.

I called 911 and put them on speaker as I began CPR on Shawn. I told them what happened and that I was giving him CPR as they sent an ambulance.

Finally, Shawn started to breathe, and he coughed up water. I sat back but held his head up and let him cough it all out. When he was able to, he began to talk.

"Baby, did you just do CPR?" He asked me.

"I had to Shawn, you were not breathing. You scared the hell out of me. Are you okay?" I asked.

"Shannon, you just saved my life honey, I'm great and I seriously can not thank you enough." He said.

"There is one more thing baby. An ambulance is on their way. I was so scared and I knew that I needed to call them. Plus, this is all my fault. I was the one that wanted to bring you to the beach. Please do not be mad." I said.

"I could never be mad at you, none of this is your fault, my love,  and I completely understand why you called. Oh look, they're pulling up now." He pointed out. I realized that he was right, they were walking right towards us.

Shawn and I explained the whole entire story to them as they began to work on him and make sure that he was okay. They were going to bring him to the hospital just to be safe.

"Ma'am," one of the paramedics said, catching my attention. "You saved his life, I hope you know that. I smiled, feeling proud of myself and grateful that Shawn was going to be okay.