45. There For You

I felt so bad. Lately, I had been pushing Shawn out. About five years ago, a friend of mine died tragically and suddenly. Well, the five year anniversary was coming up, leaving me sad and depressed. I didn't want anyone to know that I was feeling like this though, so instead, I pushed people away, and didn't tell anyone why or how I was feeling.

    Shawn came home from work after being at the studio all day. Even though I had been pushing him away, I was still happy to see him. I smiled at him and he smiled when he saw me.

    "Hi beautiful." He said, causing me to smile even bigger while I blushed.

    "Hi handsome." I said as he leaned down to give me a kiss.

    "Baby," he started "Can I ask you a question?" He asked.

    "Of course." I said, although I was feeling worried that he would bring up the fact that I've been pushing him away.

    "Why have you been pushing me away?" He asked. Yup. My fears were confirmed.

    "I don't want to talk about it Shawn." I said.

    "Well that's too bad because I want to talk about it." He said. The harshness in his voice surprised me. He usually didn't say things like this.

    "Shawn, please." I pleaded.

    "No, okay? I'm upset that you keep pushing me away and I know that something's up and I just want to know why." He said.

He deserved the right to know, but that didn't make this any easier as the tears began to spill down my face as I thought of why I was pushing him away. Soon, I was sobbing. Shawn held me close to him as I cried and I soon realized that I was soaking his shirt with tears. I pulled away.

    "Sorry." I said.

    "What are you apologizing for honey?" He asked.

    "For sobbing and for soaking your shirt with my tears." I said.

    "Honey, that's totally okay. I just want to know what has you so upset." He said.

    "It's Jake." I said. The name registered in his mind and he soon engulfed me in a hug.

    "Oh honey, why didn't you tell me sooner?" He asked.

    "Because I've been feeling sad and depressed over his death lately because the five year anniversary is coming up and I just didn't want you to worry about me." I said rather quickly.

    "Baby, we could've worked on this. I could've been there for you. You know that I would've been there for you and that I'll be here for you, right?" He asked. I nodded in response. He continued. "I know that you miss Jake but I know that he's watching over you and he's proud of you honey. He loved you." By now I was crying again, but this time they were happy tears.

    "Thank you Shawn, that means a lot to me. Can I have a kiss?" I asked. He chuckled.

    "Beautiful, you never have to ask for a kiss. Come here." He said as he leaned in to kiss me and I met him halfway. We soon pulled away.

    "Thank you for opening up to me honey. I really appreciate it. And I promise that I'm going to be right here for you. I'll ask Andrew for shorter hours so I can be with you more. Okay?" He asked. I would usually protest to him being at the studio less, but I really did need him.

    "Okay. Thank you." I said. I leaned in and gave him another kiss, hoping that he would know how thankful I am for him and everything that he does for me. How did I get so lucky?