114. He calms down the kids

Today my husband Shawn Mendes has a few interviews so I'm at home alone with our two kids, Skylar "Sky" Scott Mendes and Rose Lucille Mendes. Rose is three and Sky is one. Both of them are a handful separately, put them together and you get a tornado.

"Rose, come back here and pick up your toys, it's naptime honey." I called out to her.

"No!" She yelled back. I sighed. I was holding Sky on my hip and he was getting fussy. I needed to put him down for a nap. I put him in his bed and went back downstairs to find that Rose had made an even bigger mess.

"Rose, you need to pick up these toys before you start playing with your other ones." I said.

"Why mommy?" She asked.

"Because you're making a very big mess and someone could slip and fall on your toys. You don't want that, do you?" I asked, guilting my three year old.

"Sorry mommy." She said and immediately started to pick up her toys. She played by herself for about an hour before I put her down for a nap. After I put her in her bed I plopped down onto the couch and sighed. After a few minutes I heard a cry. Sky's cry.

"Oh God, please don't wake up Rose." I whispered, but sure enough, I heard her start crying soon after. I sighed for the millionth time that day. I went into their rooms and tried to calm the both of them down but I couldn't. My mom lives far away and Karen's busy and I couldn't call Shawn because he's doing interviews. I started to let the tears flow after an hour of trying to get them to calm down and relax. They just wouldn't calm down.

"Babe! I'm home early!" I heard Shawn call out. Oh thank God. I heard him come up the stairs and into Sky's room, where I was crying while trying to calm down both of mine and Shawn's kids. "What happened?" He asked with a look of panic on his face when he saw the scene.

"I tried to put both of them down for naps but then Skylar started to cry, which woke up Rose and then she started to cry and then I just couldn't calm them down so I started to cry. I don't know what to do Shawn, I just don't know what to do." I cried as he rushed over to me and hugged me and kissed me on the forehead.

"Okay, I'm going to take care of them, okay? You've been alone all day and you need a break, go lay down in the bed and I'll be in when they're under control, okay beautiful?" He asked.

"Okay, thank you Shawn." I said.

"You're welcome baby girl." He said. I went into our bedroom and laid down underneath the covers. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep, feeling grateful that Shawn had the kids.

Shawn's perspective

I just came home and sent my lovely wife Y/n to bed. Our kids are being very fussy and won't seem to calm down for her. I brought both Rose and Skylar into Rose's room where there's a bigger, but still fit for a three year old, bed where they can both lay. I put them down and looked at them.

"Okay, Rose, Sky, are you listening to me?" I asked. Rose nodded and Sky, because he's so little, just looked at me. "I need you guys to go to sleep. Mommy has had a very busy day and she needs some rest, so we need to give her quiet time. Would it help you guys if I sang to you?" I asked them.

"Yes daddy. Daddy?" Rose responded.

"Yes princess?" I asked.

"Can I have a hug please?" She asked me. I smiled.

"Of course. Come here." I said before she scooted her little bum over to me so I could pick her up and hold her. I rubbed her back and she soon fell asleep on me. I laid her down on the bed and picked up my son Skylar. I did the same with him but I sang to him softly. I sang my own song, Never Be Alone. He's always seemed to love that song. It calms him down the fastest and easiest. He fell asleep and I put him down next to Rose and put the guard rail up. I walked back to my bedroom where my wife was stretching her arms. She must have fallen asleep.

"Are they okay now?" She asked. I smiled at her and nodded.

"Yeah, they're both asleep right now." I said. She looked teary eyed. "Honey what's wrong?" I asked.

"Am I a bad parent?" She asked.

"What? Of course not honey. Why would you think that?" I asked.

"Because I can't even calm down my own kids. I'm such a bad parent." She said, covering her face with her hands as she started to cry. I sat down on my side of the bed and faced her. I pulled her hands off her face and kissed her forehead slowly.

"Baby, you are the best mother ever. The kids and I love you so much, they were just fussy for some reason. I had to hold Rose and rub her back before she fell asleep and I had to sing to Sky before he fell asleep. They're stubborn kids babe. Do you want me to stay home more often so I can be here more?" I asked. She shook her head violently.

"No, you need to do your career. Don't worry about me and the kids." She said. I smiled at her.

"Are you sure? Because I can talk to Andrew about it." I said.

"No, Andrew doesn't like me already, he never has, don't give him even more of a reason to dislike me." She said. It's true, Andrew doesn't like her. He won't tell me why, but he makes it very clear that he doesn't like her. At least he came to our wedding. I sighed.

"I don't understand why he doesn't like you. You did nothing wrong." I said, feeling my frustration rise.

"I don't understand it either but let's just let it go. Whatever happens, happens. I once read somewhere that it is what it is. Come on, let's lay down while the kids are laying down. We've both had long days." She said.

"How did I get so lucky?" I asked her as I laid down underneath the blankets. She hummed.

"I ask myself that question every single day. I have the most amazing kids and the most amazing, most handsome, sexiest, cutest man as my husband. I love you Shawn." Y/n said.

"I love you too beautiful. Come here." I said as I opened up my arms. She came into my arms and I held her close as I kissed the top of her head. I rubbed her back and she soon fell asleep. I have a beautiful and amazing family. How did I get so lucky?