Part Twenty-Four: Chapter 174: Memories

Joker's POV

I was changing. More and more with each passing day. The rage that normally follows me, haunts me, is slowly diminishing. I feel all the emotions that I hadn't had before, not since I was Jack. I've been losing my strength. Sometimes my legs just decide to quit working and I fall. I didn't even have the energy to spar with Jason or Harley. My head never stops aching, not even for a second.

 The drugs and alcohol didn't even work on the pain anymore, they simply made me high

The drugs and alcohol didn't even work on the pain anymore, they simply made me high. Sometimes the pain in my head hurts so much that it makes me vomit. I've lost twenty pounds since I had returned from Arkham.

Ivy's been trying to come up with a pain reliever that will work on me for eleven months now. It has been kind of nostalgic having her here. She was more than just a former lover to me, she was a friend. And I can't say that about many people. If it wasn't for Ivy, I might not have turned out to be the Clown Prince of Crime. She helped me take out the rest of the five families, and she did it in one day. All it took was three kisses. Someone like that you want on your side. I can only imagine how much more power I could have if she never left me.

But, Ivy had a thing for my wife. It doesn't make me mad or jealous. It's actually a comforting thought. When I'm gone I know Ivy will look after her. She will teach Harley new things. She'll keep Harley going after I'm gone. Ivy has my blessing to be with Harley. Ivy might act tough, but I know how much heart she really has. I know she will take good care of Harley for me. And maybe Ivy came make her happier than I can.

I've treated Harley like shit so many times. I've done some pretty unspeakable things to her. But she always forgives me. In her mind she had done something wrong and deserved the punishment. And I've just let her always think that she did deserve it. But it never was her fault, it was always mine. I've not been faithful to her, I had been with Bruce since Harley and I became an item. I didn't deserve her. Nor did I deserve him.

There's also Jason to go toe to toe with Ivy for Harley's hand. It's pretty obvious that Jason has feelings for Harley. And when I'm gone they will pretend to be a couple. It was necessary. Harley is going to have to be by Jason's side as he starts taking over as me. She will be the biggest help to Jason since she was the only one who really knew me. She knew my mind, my heart, and my soul. Maybe Jason will win her heart. I know Jason will look over her for me too.

The tumor was starting to effect my personality. It was making me more kind and caring towards those close to me. I hadn't killed someone on a whim in months. Nor have I bothered with any plans or schemes to entice Bruce out to play, no matter how badly I wanted to see him. There's not a day that goes by now in which I don't have regrets. I miss when I didn't have any regrets. But I certainly do now. I regret any pain I've brought to Bruce. I know he's mourning Jason and eventually, he's going to come after me for Jason's death.

I hope he kills me. I'd rather die by his hand on the basis of a lie, than because of this stupid tumor. In my eyes a perfect death would come from the one I love most. I deserved to die for all the lives I've taken or destroyed. I don't have a fear of death, I never have. Death to me was like finally being truly free. To leave behind this battered body and go to some other dimension, some other life. A place where there is no pain. Only a long awaited peace.