Part Twenty: Chapter 141: Home Sweet Hell

The Joker had made up his mind that he would marry Harley. However, he knew that it had to be kept a secret. A priest would marry them, but the Joker knew better than to have an official marriage license. A marriage license had led Falcone right to he and his newlywed wife. He refused to give D.A. Spray a paper trail to track them down. The Joker didn't need some piece of paper to make things official with Harley. He didn't need some big expensive wedding to be posted in all the tabloids. All he needed was her 'I do', along with his own.

Then the Joker would restart the process of making another baby. This time he planned to find a way to procure fertility drugs. It would hopefully increase their chances, as well as the number of fetuses. But multiple fetuses carried risks of its own. Low birth weight. Premature births. In general, it was harder for a woman's body, but Harley was young and healthy. It would be nice to have twins, maybe triplets, because they probably wouldn't have the chance to increase their family any other way.

But everything the Joker needed was in Gotham. He needed several items from the lab in his penthouse. Luckily the over zealous D.A. hadn't found out about his previous address. If he had the cops would have seized everything. It wouldn't have been hard for them to figure out what the Joker was up to. If they knew he was trying to father children the state would step in and take his children from him. Make no mistake about it, he was a dangerous criminal, and that was all that damn D.A. could see. That and making a name for himself by putting the Joker in prison.

The Joker had no choice but to return to Gotham. He would go alone because he needed Johnny to look after Harley and keep her safe. He could take care of himself. There were several business matters that he needed to see to. And a few personal matters as well. So many loose ends, and it was unknown if there was enough time to tie them all together. But the Joker had to try.

Harley stands behind the Joker and stares at his reflection in the mirror. His fingers smooth on flesh colored craft paint over his white complexion. "Mistah J...its too dangerous fer ya in Gotham. What if yer recognized?" She asked.

The Joker lightly scoffed, "Everyone who knew what Jack Napier looked like is dead except for Frost, Ace, and Simon. No one will recognize me like this. Fuck, I don't even recognize myself. It's been a long time since I've seen myself look like this."

"Ya need sum normal clothes. A purple Gucci suit ain't foolin nobody," she shakes her head.

"Yes dearest, I'm aware. I had Johnny pick me up jeans and a T-shirt," he tells her as he carefully puts the paint around his eyes.

"I hope it ain't a Batman shirt," she folds her arms across her chest.

The Joker chuckles, "It isn't. Though it did cross my mind."

"What if ya get caught in a rain storm puddin?"

"I'll take an umbrella. Stop worrying. I'll be fine. I grew up on the streets of Gotham Harley. I know what I'm doing. It's necessary. I'll have a big surprise for you when I return," he smiles.

Harley gives a half hearted smile. "Ya just make sure that ya come back."

"I promise. Nothing but death will keep me away from you. Besides, I'm counting on you to be the mother of my child."

"What if it don't work Mistah J?" She uneasily asks. She wasn't sure if she could undergo another miscarriage. Even more so, she worried that the Joker couldn't take another miscarriage. Having a child was his final wish. She really wanted to be able to give him that.

"It will work. You would have never lost the baby if I hadn't..." his eyes fall down to the bathroom counter. He knew Harley didn't blame him for the miscarriage, but it was all his fault. "This time I'll wait on you hand and foot. You'll see, everything will work out this time," he tried to reassure her.