Part Eight: Chapter 45: Progress

The Joker sat on the floor of his cell straightening out a paperclip. Ivy had swiped it from her doctor in her therapy session. Then she gave it to the Joker at the evening meal. He then bent the paperclip back and forth in the middle until it broke into two pieces. He then sticks the two metal pieces into the electrical outlet just at arms reach on the hallway wall outside his cell. Thankfully his arm was long enough. He then twists a napkin and touches it across the metal. A small flame ignited the napkin and the Joker carefully brought the flame back into his cell.

He has to move fast so the flame doesn't burn out. He raises his toothbrush up, he'd already wrapped plastic wrap around the head and bristles. He holds it over the flame. The plastic wrap and bristles light on fire. The Joker let's them burn for a moment, then he blows out the flame. His fingers quickly pinch the ends together. He lets it cool then he uses the concrete surface of his cell floor to file it to a razor edge.

 He lets it cool then he uses the concrete surface of his cell floor to file it to a razor edge

Things were coming together. The Joker had contacted both Crane and Nygma. They were both working on a way to get the chemicals Crane needed to make his fear toxin. The Joker's Joker Venom required things that the asylum wouldn't have on hand. His only hope was Crane's fear toxin and Ivy's pheromone stuff. He was crafting the weapons.

Ivy was learning the staff, their habits, their work details, and break times

The Joker removed the pieces of the paperclip, one at a time, and walks over to the lock on his cell. He pressed into the bars looking down the hall both ways. It was lights out but the lights down the hallway stay on. He sees the guard at the end of the hall slowly pacing toward him. He quickly gets in his bed and fakes sleep.

He waits for the guards footsteps to pass his cell. He jumped up and double checked out of the bars. The guard was several cells past his. He sticks the pieces of paperclip into the top and bottom of the lock. He fumbled with it for a few minutes.

"Do you know what you're doing?"

The Joker grinds his teeth and turns the lock. He hears a click and a big smile comes to his face. He pulls out the pieces of the paperclip and rushes back under his covers as the guard passed. Once he's gone again the Joker gets up again, his toothbrush, which was now a crude knife, in hand.