Part Twenty-Two: Chapter 158: Becoming

Ace walked into the Joker's penthouse to see Jason eating a bowl of Lucky Charms. He does a double take at him because that was the boss's favorite cereal too. Ace approaches the bar where Jason sat for a better look at him. Ace had only seen the Joker once before he was left with his permanent pasty complexion. Luckily, Ace had a good memory and remembered what his boss had looked like. It was a bit odd to think of the Joker having a brother. However, there were definitely similarities between the two, enough to start with anyway.

Jason watches Ace watching him. It made him nervous. He drops his spoon into his bowl with a sigh, "Is there a reason you're staring at me like I'm an alien or something?"

 He drops his spoon into his bowl with a sigh, "Is there a reason you're staring at me like I'm an alien or something?"

He asks Ace. Jason knew he was comparing his features to the Joker's.

Ace blinks out of his trance, "I'm sorry, I was just seeing what kind of canvas we're working with. The resemblance is odd to see." He extends his hand out to Jason for a handshake. Jason reaches for his hand but Ace quickly pulls his away. "Never shake hands kid, the boss only shakes hands when it's to electrocute somebody with one of his modified hand joy buzzers." Jason slowly lowers his hand. "I'm Ace, by the way. Frost asked me to give you a little direction on how Mr. J is with us clowns."

Jason carefully looks Ace over

Jason carefully looks Ace over. Frost had already clued Jason in on the secret of the Joker's power. "He controls you with fear, right?" Jason asks.

Ace smiles, "You got it. But right now, your eye's look too kind and innocent. There's something about the boss's eyes that just scares the hell out of people. He carries the look of a man that's killed a thousand people. When you've killed enough people it becomes as normal as breathing. When boss kills he only has three expressions, anger, excitement, or absolutely nothing at all. The only way you're going to get that look down is by killing. You have to be comfortable with it. It has to become like second nature. Like breathing."

Jason knew that was true. However, he hadn't been bothered by killing the few he already had notched into his belt. He knew he wouldn't have to kill a thousand people to adopt the detached look the Joker had. "How many of his own men has he killed?" Jason curiously asks.