Part Twenty-Four: Chapter 176: On The Inside

Dr. Strange's machine was finally completed. The Joker knew there was no time to waste by testing and analyzing it. It had been three years since the tumor was found in his brain. He hadn't expected to make it this long. But then, every day brings us all a little bit closer to death. Ironic, isn't it, that we start to die the very minute we are born. It's not just us humans either, it's every form of life on the planet. The Joker used to not care about the circle of life, because he never wanted his place in it. But now, he sees there's no escaping it.

The Joker and Jason sat side by side, bound to their chairs, with Dr. Strange's machine in the middle of them. Harley and Ivy had been banished from the room. Frost and Ace stayed, in case anyone lost their marbles and became aggressive. The Joker looks over at Jason as Dr. Strange straps the helmet on his head. He didn't seem nervous, only curious.

"The mind can be confusing," Dr. Strange smiles at him, "Easy, easy, easy to get lost. To get lost from yourself. Hard to distinguish what belongs to you."

Jason had no idea what the doctor was attempting to explain

Jason had no idea what the doctor was attempting to explain. Jason merely sighs and nods his head as if he were paying attention. He looks over at the Joker looking at him. He looked nervous and regretful. He clearly seemed as if he wasn't really looking forward to this. Jason just shrugs it off and watches Dr. Strange push buttons on the machine.

Then his hand reaches for a lever. "Here we go," he giggles.

Jason could hear the laughter grow distant. Any particle of light faded away and went into full darkness. A thousand different sounds echoed distantly, all around him. Then out of all those bsounds one comes forward, more distinguished than the rest, it grows louder and clearer. It was the sound of crying. Light very slowly returned as Jason tried to focus. He could make out a door in the dim lighting. It was slightly cracked open and a beam of light shown behind it.

 It was slightly cracked open and a beam of light shown behind it

Jason started to slowly and cautiously walk toward it. As he draws closer the crying gets clearer. He reaches out for the doorknob and hesitantly grabs it. He doesn't know what he will find on the other side of that door. He slowly pulls the door open and looks inside. He has to bring a hand up to shield his eyes because the light was so bright and blinding.