Part Four: Chapter 17: Rats

The warm water enveloped the young star crossed lovers as they leisurely lounged in their bath tub. Jeannie lays back on Jack's chest and runs a soapy sponge up and down his leg. Jack's lips graze the nape of Jeannie's neck and she moans in response. His fingertips lightly trace across her lower abdomen and create chill bumps across her skin. Jack loves the way that every moment spent with Jeannie makes him feel as though it's the happiest moment of his life. He's in love and no other emotion could begin to compare.

"I like it here in Metropolis. It doesn't rain as much and the city has such good lighting at night," Jeannie speaks, "You sure you really want to go back to Gotham? Why not just build a life here? You've got a job and I can get a job. We'd be able to stay here." At first Jack gives her no response. "Jack?" She says his name, knowing he had to hear her. She sits up and turns to face him. She wanted an answer.

Eventually Jack lets out a long sigh. "I'm not cut out for the straight life baby," Jack says softly.

"Do you understand that I'm going to own Gotham? Every person in the city will fear me and no one will dare try to cross me?"

"I know, but who's gonna cross you here Jack? If you went straight?" She sighs and puts more soap on the sponge.

"I don't want this life Jeannie, I want a world where I hold all the power. That's the way it has to be to keep you safe and us together. Do you really think they won't eventually track us down? I can't let that happen," Jack explains breathing in the lingering scent of her shampoo.

"I know Jack...its just...you're talking about wiping out my entire family," she runs the sponge across his other leg.

"What have they ever done for you? Ignore you? Exclude you? Lie to you? Leave you? Do you think they'd just welcome me into the family with open arms? No, they would chastise you for fucking around with the help. Then they'd plant a bullet in the back of my head before you could say a Hail Mary for my soul. Is that what you want? You want to just get rid of me?" Jack's forehead creases with doubt. He didn't like the way it felt.

"She is only interested in you in the first place because its considered forbidden. You're her walk on the wild side that her family shelters her from. You're crazy if you think she actually gives a shit about you."

Jack's hand raises to his temple as he tries to massage the voice from his mind.