Part Seven: Chapter 33: A Joke

Jack's POV

The spray from the shower head hurt my skin. I groan through it.

I run my hands over my skin

I run my hands over my skin. I rub briskly, trying to wash away the white. I notice the water runing down the drain, it's not white, it's clear. I look down at my white chest. My legs are white too. Every inch of me was white, yeah, even down there. I scratch my arms with the nubs of my fingernails. The skin around my fingernail cuticles is blackened. I claw at my skin but the white wouldn't go away. My skin doesn't even show the scratches, only the tiny beads of blood from the scratches.

"You're a new person now," the voice tells me. "You look perfect now."

But I'm far from perfect. This wasn't normal. "Nobody looks like this," I say to the voice. "I'm a freak."

As I bend over my wet hair falls in strands in my face and stick to my cheeks. I can see a few stray strands. I touch one. It was green. Very green. How? What was that murky muck I fell into? How did it do this to me? I scrub at my scalp hoping to see the green in the water around the drain. But it's only clear. The green wasn't coming out either. Jeannie wasn't going to recognize me.

"She's not here anymore."

"What do you mean?" I ask. But the voice gives me no answer. I'm so frustrated with that stupid voice. It's always in my head jabbering when I don't want it to be.

"And you never listen when I'm trying to help you."

Help? Yeah right, he was that little devil on my shoulder telling me to be bad. A mischievous little sidekick that gets off on getting me in tight spots.

"You get yourself in them. I get you out."

I turn off the water. As I do Frost tosses a towel over the shower door. I wrap it around my waist and open the shower door. Frost's mouth parts when he sees me, but he doesn't say a word. I walk over to the mirror and see my reflection.

I was white. Eggshell. Alabaster. Ivory. My lips were as red as a stop sign. My hair and eyebrows were the exact same color as a green crayon. Around my eyes the skin was darkened and my eyes looked sunken in.

"HaHaha! HAHAHAHA!"

"Jack you're such a clown."

I began chuckling softly as I just stood and stared at my reflection. I looked like a clown. My chuckle turned into a laugh. I can see Frost timidly standing back and watching me with a creased forehead. He probably thinks I've gone mad.

"You're finally the man you were destined to be. Jack is dead. Jack was weak. But you don't have to be Jack anymore. Now you're a brand new man. Can't you feel it?"

I just laugh hysterically. I couldn't believe the way I looked. It was ridiculous. Nobody looked like this. Maybe it would fade. I run my hand through my green hair and slick it back. I just laugh more. This has to be a joke. I know it isn't a dream.