Part Twenty-Two: Chapter 155: Day One Of Training

Jason peered out of the dark tinted windows of the SUV that Frost was driving. They appeared to be going deeper into the city. Jason hasn't asked where they were going. His mind had been thinking about everything that had happened. He had made the plans with the Joker several months ago. Jason knew he had agreed to everything that was taking place. He had spent months preparing to leave the comforts of Wayne Manor. But now that it was happening, he was questioning his choices.

Despite Bruce being emotionally cut off from people, he wasn't a bag guy

Despite Bruce being emotionally cut off from people, he wasn't a bag guy. He had never treated Jason unfairly. All things considered, Bruce had been the only positive role model he's ever known. Bruce had tried to teach Jason everything he knew. He knew Bruce and Alfred would grieve for him, thinking him to be dead. Jason couldn't even understand why he chose all of this now. Maybe he thought taking Joker's offer would in fact make Bruce kill the Joker. Then he's taken out both his brothers. Or perhaps the Joker had just plead an airtight case to Jason, one that he simply couldn't refuse.

"Um, shouldn't we be leaving the city were we just broke the law?" Jason asks.

Harley giggles. Frost looks at Jason in the rearview mirror, "Nah kid, that's what they expect us to do. Sometimes hiding in plain sight is more effective, believe it or not."

"So Frost," Jason leans up between the two front seats, "How long have you worked for J?"

"Long time," Frost sighs, "over twelve years."

"Did you know him before...before he was like he is?" Jason asks.

"Yes," Frost nods.

"Was he normal?"

Frost takes a moment to reflect back over the years at the Joker's side. "Mr. J honestly wasn't much different than he is now." Frost tells him.

Harley turns for a better look at Jason, "Mistah J started hearin' tha voice in his head when he was eight."

"Sooo, he really is crazy?" Jason raises an eyebrow.

"He ain't exactly as crazy as he appears," Harley tells him.

"Mr. J once told me that the best way to control masses of people is through fear, and what people can't understand, they usually fear," Frost says as he pulls into a parking garage.

Jason sits back and ponders the answer. J had told him to form his own opinion as to if he was crazy or not. That had been difficult to do. So far, with the few times hes been alone with J, he found him to make a lot of sense. No one that really knows him would give Jason a straight answer. Maybe they were afraid of J. Maybe he controlled them with fear. Jason couldn't really understand why he had never been afraid of J. It seemed as if everyone else was, even Bruce.

Frost parks the vehicle and kills the engine. "End of tha line," Harley cheerfully says and opens the door to get out.

"Where are we?" Jason asks as he gets out as well.