Part Six: Chapter 28: Assembled

Jack's POV

My entire arm is numb and asleep where Jeannie was using it as a pillow. We managed to find a trunk of old clothes to lay out as a bed. They smelled like moth balls. It was my own arrogance that had brought us to this. I got too cocky. I wasn't thinking about being found after the marriage license was documented. It was stupid of me. Now my pregnant wife is in a dark dank basement lying on clothes that are saturated with the stench of moth balls.

"Serves you right for being careless."

What was I going to do now? Falcone had me by the balls and he knew it. I know he is gonna eventually have me killed. But apparently I was of use to him right now. And I don't know at what point he will decide that he no longer needs me. I don't know how to get word to any of my men. I couldn't tell them that we needed saving. Therefore, nobody was coming to our aid. Getting us out of here would take nothing short of a miracle at this juncture.

"Oh no, you're fucked."

That predicament aside, there was the whole baby topic up in the air. Jeannie says she hasn't known for long. She was going to tell me on our wedding night, but had stalled and agreed with herself to do it the next night. In other words, tonight. A baby? I don't know anything about kids or babies. I know I have to learn pretty fast. I thought that I would feel scared of the thought, but I don't. I was actually quite happy with the news. It just felt right. Everything with Jeannie always just felt right.

"Didn't I tell you that that girl was gonna get you killed?"

I can hear the door at the top of the stairs being unlocked. I watch as shiny leather shoes descend down the steps. Slacks. Gun. Jacket. Falcone's right hand guy becomes visible in the dim light. He smiles at me, really enjoying all this. He loosely points his gun at me.

"Up Jack, you got work to do. Boss wants you for something."

"I would love to peel the skin from his bones."

I just glare at him.

Jeannie awakes in my arms and looks at the man pointing his gun at me

Jeannie awakes in my arms and looks at the man pointing his gun at me. She softly cries into my neck and begs me softly not to go. But I have to. If I refuse they'd kill us both. And the baby.

"Fine," I say and gently pry Jeannie off me. I cup her face and give her a quick kiss. "It's ok. Don't worry, everything is fine," I softly try to persuade her. But truthfully, I honestly don't know if I'll ever see her again.

"My money's on no."

"Today Jack," the guy sighs and I hear him cock the hammer.

"No, Jack don't go! Please don't do it!" Jeannie plead with a tear soaked face, clutching at my shirt.

"Ugh, stop her pathetic whining, would ya? She's giving me a headache."

"I'll be ok. I'll be back. I promise," I whisper into her hair. It seems to pacify her for the moment.