Part Seventeen: Chapter 126: Fair

Bruce's POV

I had to find him. As Batman, I was obligated to. He had to be found so the new Distric Attorney could hold a new competency hearing. I needed to find him before the cops, with all their guns, could. But before I found him, I had to find out how to prove his insanity. It was the only way to save him from death row. I couldn't let them condemn him to that, not when he could be rehabilitated. The Joker was still a living, breathing person. He still had rights.

Believe it or not, it wasn't really easy to prove him insane. His IQ alone argued against him. He always sounds normal when you have a conversation with him. He follows what you say, and responds to you accordingly. But that is not the area in which his insanity lies. There's no physical proof that can prove him incompetent. His insanity was a personality flaw, and unfortunately, it didn't make him incompetent.

There was no one I could talk to about it. I was ashamed to discuss him with Alfred. Alfred only wanted my happiness, but he knew that the Joker wouldn't make me happy in the long run. And I, I was blind to that because I loved him. I couldn't talk to Jason. He hated the Joker so much. I'm afraid I'm the one who is to blame for that. Jason could see the obsession with him that I myself overlooked. Jason blames the Joker for my mistakes as a parent, because I spend so much time chasing, studying, and trying to understand him.

No one could understand that the Joker was simply sick. No one has the patience to try to really help him. Arkham Asylum just drugged him, experimented on him, and kept him bound and confined. They didn't try to rehabilitate him, they tried to break him and control him. They did as they damn well pleased with him, and none of it was good for J. There was a right approach to be had, but no one ever tries to find it. In Arkham, if he's doped to the gills and drooling, they call it progress.

But I was more concerned about the GCPD. There's a comrodery among cops as a brotherhood. The Joker had injured and killed so many of their brethren that revenge was always at the forefront of their minds. Even the cops on the Joker's payroll wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet through his head. They would call it self defense and consider themselves heroes for taking out the city's most feared criminal. I couldn't let them do that.

I reverse the security feed from the cafe where the Joker had gunned down Dr. Chase Meridian. There was no doubt about it, it was the Joker. Absolutely premeditated, there was no arguing it any other way. "Damnit J," I sigh and run my hand over my face. I was exhausted. I'm not sure if it's been two days since I slept, or three. I knew I needed rest, my brain was starting to fail me.

"Still obsessing over the clown?" Comes Jason's voice as he bounds down the stairs.

I could hear the disappointment in his voice. I wish he could understand, but he's always been a little lacking in the empathy department. Especially where the Joker was concerned. "I was just watching the security footage from his last victim," I say, my eyes never leaving the computer screen.

"You did that yesterday Bruce," he says and takes a seat next to me.