Part Twelve: Chapter 68: Odds

The Joker sits alone in his office. There was a white powder residue scattered on the desk top.

 There was a white powder residue scattered on the desk top

A rolled dollar bill lay amongst the powder. Cocaine. He does this most days, stewing over Bruce's teenage backup. The Joker felt that it changed his odds. He was only one person and Batman was now two. How is that fair? It was just supposed to be he and bats. One on one. Dancing. How do you waltz with three people? You would have to keep switching out. And doing that means that you can't stare into your partners eyes and find their soul. You wouldn't be able to lose yourself. You wouldn't become the music.

So the Joker figures he's got to even his odds. He needed his own sidekick. But who could he get that he trusts? He couldn't choose any of his men because he only trusted a few, and he needed them watching his back, not playing sidekick. He needed someone who would look good in the spot light. He needed someone who could compliment his Joker style. Someone smart. Someone who's not afraid to kill. Someone who is already a wanted criminal. Someone who could actually be an asset.

The Joker runs his hand through his hair as he thinks. Slowly his posture straightens as a light bulb flickers in his head. His cogs churn faster and an epiphany hits him. Yes. Perfect. He Lets out a cackle and rises from his chair. He grabs the keys to his car. Right now he has a dark green Audi. But he can't keep them long, because as soon as someone sees him in it, they spread the word. Or they snap pictures and get videos.

The Joker had enemies. Lots of enemies. He didn't really want them putting a bomb under his car. Sure, he has men who sweep his car, but the Joker finds most of his men to be stupid. In truth, they aren't all stupid, but none of their IQ's could match the Joker's. The Joker tended to think anyone who wasn't on his level was stupid. But the Joker did have a reputation for being intolerant.

The Joker walks up to Frost. "I'm going somewhere. Alone. I'll be fine," he says. Frost only nods and watches as the boss walks out the door.

The Joker gets in his car and leaves. He drives downtown and pulls into a parking garage. He walks to an elevator and pushes the button for the lobby. When the door opens he walks down a glass walkway that was a bridge across the street from the parking garage to the building he needed. When he reaches the lobby he doesn't have to ask the manager to call the tenant. The manager just gives the Joker a nervous nod. Joker is already known here. He's been here dozens of times. He gets Into another elevator and presses the button for the penthouse. When the elevator dings he gets out and walks up to a door. He runs a hand through his hair to straighten it. Then he straightens his suit. Then he knocks on the door.

The tenant already knows that only the Joker shows up unannounced. The door is opened and the Joker was greeted by a smirk. "I had a feeling I'd be seeing you soon when I heard you busted out of Arkham."

"Ivy my dear," he smiles and slightly bows to her.

Ivy crosses her arms over her chest. "You're being formal. That means you want something." She licks her lips and hates to admit how happy she was to see him. "What's the matter? Fresh out and needing a quickie?" She says, her smirk growing.