Part Ten: Chapter 57: Sessions

Psychotherapy.
Session one.
Dr. Hugo Strange
Patient: The Joker

The Joker was only let out of his pitch black cell for one hour a day, and that was for therapy. They had to put him in a straight jacket for that. Normally this would present itself as an opportune moment to raise some hell and attempt to escape. But the Joker hasn't forgotten what the guard said, he had to be on his best behavior so that he could be in general population, and from there, escape. So the Joker fought the urge to snap their necks as they wrap his arms around his torso and buckle the extended length sleeves behind his back. The Joker hates straight jackets, but he will admit, they were a pretty comfortable means of restraint.

Once he's all strapped and buckled they lead him to his therapist. The Joker softly whistles Pop Goes The Weasel as he walks, chains clinking together, bound around his ankles. They take the Joker into an office that was decorated with the typical shrink decor. Desk, chairs just slightly turned toward one another, tissue boxes in several places, the infamous couch, degrees on the walls, and an old bald doctor wearing all white. The guards push the Joker into a chair in front of the desk. They lock the ankle restraints to a large loop on the floor.

The Joker just smiles and stares at the doctor who is reading something, most likely the Joker's file. Finally he lays it down and pushes his glasses up on his nose with a sigh.

"Good morning," the doctor curtly nods his head, "I'm Dr. Strange."

The Joker just couldn't refuse a hearty chuckle

The Joker just couldn't refuse a hearty chuckle. "I'm guessing that you're the product of childhood bullying. Hum? Is that why you became a shrink? To understand the mind of a bully?"

Dr. Strange is taken aback for the duration of about 0.00076 tenths of a second. "I'm not the patient. You are," he informs the Joker.

"Oh yes, of course doctor," the Joker gleamed, "You may proceed with your psychological assessment of...well, me."

"Thankyou. Let's start with your real name," he says dryly and readies a pen over paper.

"Joker."

"We're you born with that name? Is that what's on your social security card?" The doctor slightly cocks his head and waits for an answer.

"The Joker doesn't have identification of any kind. The Joker was never born, in the traditional sense that is. He just came to be. A result of a bad day, an idea, a state of mind," the Joker explains slowly, allowing every word to resonate in the doctors ears.

"I see," Strange nods? "How about your age? How old are you?"

"I'm not sure. The date has been wiped from my mind. The last age I remember being was twenty two, but I don't know how long ago that was. It is rather frustrating for me from time to time." The Joker quickly brings a smile to his face, to masquerade what his true feelings were.

"How about your parents?" Dr. Strange raises an eyebrow.

"How about them?" The Joker's voice becomes soft. "Well, they're both deceased." The Joker's mind seemed to be wandering.