Fukumori - The perception of happiness

What is happiness? Is it gaining money and being rich? Is it having so many friends that you lose sight who is really important? Is it being safe and having enough to eat or can you be happy without that as well? What is happiness? Is it the ultimate goal or is it a non-avoidable circumstance? Who wouldn't be happy when seeing a cute fluffy kitten playing with a plushy. Whoever thought that was not cute must be a psychopath, or at least that's what Fukuzawa thought.

Fukuzawa was a man of few words. He stayed quiet and observed first. It was undoubtedly a good idea to first check out possible attacks than just impulsively running in like Atsushi. You could end up losing a leg or worse (like Atsushi).

Despite having a certain facial expression all the time, the grey haired male was happy. The "resting bitch face"- syndrome how Ranpo called it did not reflect his inner mood. Only a few people possessed the ability to see through his façade and have an idea about his moods. Atsushi did it intuitive, he wasn't smart enough to guess it and do all the complicated stuff like Dazai and Ranpo did. His inner cat was also helpful with that. Kunikida and Yosano were lost though and mostly orientated themselves with Atsushis behavior. After all following Dazai or Ranpo was not the best idea.

The grey haired male was happy when he could pet a cat. A simple happiness about feeling the fluffy fur in your palms while hearing the sweet purring of the fluffy animal. A simple happiness was a good happiness.

The grey haired male was happy when his subordinates were happy. It was always nice seeing Yosano, Ranpo and Dazai getting along, even though together they were called the trouble trio causing the mom-friend Kunikida a lot of trouble. They did not exclude anyone, not Kenji or Atsushi and treated everyone equal.

Happiness was simple for him. It was not about money, food or safety. It was about being with the people you love, it was about talking, interacting, FEELING. Happiness was this overall fluffy feeling in your chest making you smile – or having a pleasant aura like in Fukuzawas case – thinking that it wouldn't be bad if this moment lasted a bit longer. Chest filled with cotton candy while having no other option but to smile at other people, spreading it like a disease. Indeed a smile could be as infectious as a yawn.

Happiness was infectious but it had to be protected. For his happiness – the people he loved and cherished – Fukuzawa would do anything. And since all men are equal for him – of course women too – he would also protect everyone to ensure everyone's happiness. If everyone lived within their happiness, then life could be nice without violence. His perception and morals were different though from the ones of the mafia boss.

It was a normal day for the boss of the agency. He had just finished countless documents, slashing white papers with dark and black ink. A small knock made him look up seeing the face of his most ambitious subordinate.

"It is time to go sir. We all have already exceeded our daily limit of 2 hours of overwork", the tall blond man stated while looking into his schedule. He was still a bit nervous in front of his chef, since he could not guess his current mood.

The older male got up from his chair making Kunikida even more nervous. A man of few words who was a bit oblivious to the perception of others towards him. "Alright", he said while nodding.

Small traces of the sun could be seen as it was the end of dawn. The night would rise soon enough leaving the agency behind and opening its curtains for the mafia.

After all of them said their goodbyes, they left the agency, leaving behind some documents and a fresh schedule for tomorrow. All leaving towards their homes and their lovers. Fukuzawa did so as well, putting the rest of the documents neatly on one side of the table and standing up. He then made sure that no one was in the apartment as he proceeded to lock the door.