Kunikatai - Friendzone

It was a day like all the days. It was a day as normal as brushing your teeth in the morning. Or so it seemed.

It was a Friday. The day of the days. For some probably the best day of the week since it could be the beginning of the weekend.

And as always on a Friday Kunikida would visit his best Friend Katai. They have been friends for 10 years now. All their friends were surprised about this since both of them were the complete opposite.

Especially university was confusing for most. The small shy IT major sitting next to all the future teachers socializing like it was the most normal thing to do. Extroverts sure are scary. Every freshman would be at first a bit confused but getting used to it. There were far more weird things than someone sitting together with another major.

The next shock would come when they heard that he was there because his best friend was Kunikida. The Kunikida. The Kunikida who would always be 10 minutes earlier to the lectures and never to late. The Kunikida who always handed everything in on time and who had like the most insane schedule of all. Not only for him but also for his students.

So this hard working idealist was the friend of a small and shy IT major who seemed to haven't shaved at all the last week and probably slept through some of his lessons. Those two who were total opposites were best friends. One organized and the favorite of most of the girls and the other an unorganized mess trying his best to get over all the rejections he had gotten up till now.

And ever since they had met they would meet up on Friday to catch up to the others life. It was an unmovable part in Kunikidas schedule and it became a habit for Katai. Katai even enjoyed it and looked forward to Fridays even though he absolutely despised social interaction... ew. Why are humans so scary?

"Don't you have the time to clean your room now and then?", the idealist spoke once he entered the cave of the Neet. It wasn't really a question. More like a mother nagging and saying that you should clean.

"I am a mess and the mess is me", Katai shrugged and started to boil some water for a nice and hot cup of tea. After pouring the hot water in the cup hoping that he wouldn't spill the tea he handed it to his friend.

It seriously was a normal Friday. There was nothing off and nothing unusual about it. Or so it should have been.

The problem lies within the brunette. For him it was a normal day it surely was. But ever since he realized that he had feelings for the tall blonde things just went down for him. Realizing his presence was the biggest problem so far. He would become nervous and embarrassed at every mistake.

Kunikida hasn't noticed a thing yet but he knew that something was up when his friend was stuttering when they were together alone. He never would have thought that the problem lies there. That they were together. Alone. Together alone with your crush. Think about all the embarrassing stuff you could do or say. Or think about how awkward it would be to say nothing. Surely human interaction was scary for people with social anxiety...

As Kunikida took the cup their hands touched a bit. Normal for Kunikida. Explosion of feelings for Katai. Katai could swear that he could hear the song "Every time we touch" spinning around in his head.

"Cause every time we touch I get this-". The radio seemed to obey his unknown command. He was startled and used his ability to stop it before it got even more embarrassing. He could have played it as a joke but Kunikida wasn't really a vine intellectual he dared to say. His face got as red as a tomato and he could swear that you could cook on his face right now. Embarrassing.

Silence filled the room.

"Could you perhaps play some songs from Queen?", his long haired friend asked. Thankfully Kunikida always had a plan so he was sometimes quite clueless about signs of love. Plus he would probably never think about his best friend being in love with him.

Kunikida was a huge fan of old music. The newer generation of electro music was for him only tolerable he wouldn't listen to it if he had to choose. He loved the old rhythms and the songs that seemed to have no time to be too "old" to listen to.

So to cover up his failure almost showing his feelings towards the one person he didn't want to lose he did as he was told to. Both of them sat down to "Bohemian Rhapsody" playing in the background. Even Katais face began to calm down.

Both of them talked a bit feeling very comfortable.

After a long pause Kunikida remarked: "I'm very happy to have you as a friend, Katai". A sting was piercing through the brunette as he heard those words. However he tried not to show it and replaced his hurt with a grin as he always did when a girl rejected him. He was used to it, what a sad existence indeed.

"Me too. I don't know what I would have done if I wouldn't have you. Though you shouldn't really depend on a useless Neet like me to be your friend. I-I-I mean you have a l-lot of other n-n-nice coworkers...", the brunette now responded. It hurt. It truly hurt to say something like that. It hurt to say the truth which was why he couldn't really hide the stuttering. However he still somehow managed to keep up the fake smile.

Kunikida looked up. He had a shocked expression. "Katai you are a very precious person to me!". This damn blonde getting up his hopes by saying person and not friend, how clueless...

"Even though you do not work all the time you still have important tasks from the agency that secure national peace. You are by no means useless. No human being should be named useless degraded to be the same as trash... except for Dazai probably."

Both of them chuckled.

'Friendship is enough. I can't dare to destroy this precious friendship of ours' was what Katai concluded. Love always had been an issue with his ability or at least it had been. Once he realized his feelings for the tall man he hadn't had any issues. Maybe it was true love? Or he just didn't want to get scolded or tell Kunikida why he wasn't working enough. 'Maybe I was just in love with the thought of the person and never really with the person like I am with Kunikida...'

There is something absolutely beautiful but fragile in a friendship with love. There always was the fear of being rejected. Once you confess you would probably never return to the time before. There would always be this one sentence building a wall between you and your friend. It was scary and frightening. But does that mean it was better to not confess at all?

There is something absolutely sad about not being able to confess because you could break the most precious relationship in your life. The Friendzone is something hard to get out of and something most people would like to curl up and live in forever.

It would take a lot more time for the brunette to finally tell his friend the truth.

It would take a lot more time for the blonde to realize that it might be ideal to have a broad horizon in choosing your partner. And some more time to see his perfect match standing right in front of him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Wow... this kinda hurt to write to be honest... hope you enjoyed it anyway :3

Yeah I just did this ship cause I like it. It's not very popular but whatever...