Kunikatai - Safe space

"KU-NI-KI-DA!", a familiar voice hummed. Kunikida had ignored it for ten minutes now but the annoying noise wouldn't go away... He looked to the side and stared directly into Dazai's eyes. The brunette was only a few inches away from his face.

"What is it Dazai?", Kunikida asked trying to keep a smile on his face. He had no time for this.

Dazai pouted and jumped back onto an office chair. It was a miracle that he didn't fall over with the momentum... Yet what was EVER a coincidence if Dazai did it? Kunikida wasn't sure anymore...

"I have lost my shrooms!", Dazai proclaimed as he stood up on the chair. A hand raised in the air while the other rested on his chest. Truly over dramatic.

"I have hidden them", Kunikida said, turning back to his computer. There were things he had to get done right now and he had no nerves left to take care of Dazai while the brunette was possibly high... Who knows it's Dazai after all...

A gasp filled the room. One from Dazai and then from Ranpo and then from Yosano. They both deemed this whole annoying affair funny enough to join in as well...

"You did not! Thou hath forsaken me!", Dazai said falling onto his knees. It was a miracle that he was still doing this all on an office chair. How could he have such talent and waste it like that?!

Kunikida decided to ignore Dazai and started punching in some numbers again. A bit more 'energetic' this time.

"Kuuuuuuuunikidaaaaaa!", another voice shouted.

Kunikida's eyebrow twitched. Couldn't this be a nice day where he could finally leave on time at least ONCE? He sighed: "What is it Ranpo?".

"I'm hungry".

"HI HUNGRY!", Dazai shouted at the top of his lungs and started laughing uncontrollably. 'Don't react', Kunikida thought 'That's what they want...'

Kunikida felt some hands on his shoulder. They were small and put small pressure on his shoulder. Not in an uncomfortable way but somewhat reassuring. Kunikida turned around, a bit confused.

"Don't let them get to you!", Yosano said with a sweet smile. Kunikida felt a little bit of relief... At least one of them seemed to be on his side today...

"Thank you Yosano" " the tall man said and looked up to her with a smile. He could use some assistance if he wanted to end work on time today...

"It's no problem Kunikida! You're our best worker and a wonderful friend at that! I couldn't wish for anything else", Yosano exclaimed. Her voice sounded happy yet...

Yet there was something weird. Yosano would NEVER say she couldn't wish for more if it didn't involve her wife. There was something wrong and Kunikida felt a shiver running down his spine. He hoped it wasn't a long prank that the three of them were planning...

"Kunikida!", Yosano said with a shocked face, "What are you thinking about?! Did you think I wanted to calm you down before a big prank?! I would NEVER do that!".

A sigh escaped Kunikida's mouth again. "You did so last week. So what is it this time?".

"Would you still love me if I was a worm? Like as a friend? Would you still want to be friends with me?".

Silence filled the room. Atsushi stopped filling out the documents Kunikida had given him and turned around. His face portrayed utter confusion and shock. Kunikida was also lost for words.

"Yosano is a worm?!", Dazai screamed and threw his hands in the air.

"SHE'S A WOOORM!", Ranpo joined in out of pure boredom.

The door to the boss's office opened and Fukuzawa looked out. Probably to check out what all the commotion was about. And that with a worried face...

"Kunikida please don't ignore me! Is that all our friendship is worth to you?! Are you only liking my physical form and do I turn irrelevant as a worm to you?", Yosano started arguing, tears slowly running down her cheeks. Why must they always go through such measures to get on Kunikida's nerves?

Stay calm. Take a breath. Stay. Calm.

This wasn't the first time. Yes, he had been working nonstop and was the only one (except for the boss and Atsushi) that got anything done today. Yes, he had done so the whole week. All day. And it was a Sunday.

Stay calm. It's alright. 'I can deal with this', he thought. This wasn't the first time.

Maybe he was overworked but he could power through this. This was nothing. This wasn't like the time when Dazai came to work riding A GIRAFFE. THIS WASN'T LIKE RANPO GETTING LOST AND SOMEHOW ENDING UP IN TOKYO.

Take a breath and-

"IF I WAS A WORM KUNIKIDA WOULD YOU STILL LIKE ME?! I'M BETTER THAN YOSANO RIGHT?", Dazai screamed.

Kunikida looked at his phone. His expression is grim. He had no nerves to go on with this. He just needed a break.

The tall man stood up, eyebrows twitching slightly. The troubl trio that had been tormenting him had gone quiet. They all looked at him and waited. Waited so that he would explode and scream like he did many times before.

Kunikida turned the screen so everyone could see it. "This is an important call I have to take. If I come back and you haven't finished your work yet I will personally keep you here until all documents are done. And I will make sure they are done. Even if it takes the whole night".

Eyes met. And within a few seconds, everyone was sitting at their desks again and Kunikida went into the kitchen to take the call. It was a very important one after all.

"H-hello?", came a voice from the speaker

"Katai. Why are you calling?", the tall man said and leaned against the kitchen counter. He immediately felt calmer...

"Uhm... I'm- Wait! Am I interrupting your work? I'm so sorry! I know that you don't like being interrupted in your plans and I-", Katai stuttered.

"Oh it's alright", Kunikida said and looked out the door. Everyone was still working. Good. "I've got some time. Please go ahead". Kunikida then sat down on a chair. This was probably going to be a slightly longer call. He smiled a little.

"Oh! Okay! So- uhm... I was just going through the code I made and uhm- it doesn't work so..."

"So you want to explain it to me to find the fault?"

"...yes"

"Go ahead.", Kunikida said and leaned back.

It was a call to keep his sanity. Perfect timing. And there was no way he would anyone take that away from him. Even if he just used a white lie. Because talking with Katai was his small place to rest.

________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know but hey it's Kunikatai and I love those dorks 😊 Hope you enjoyed this chapter even though my skills are rusty! Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!