Fukumori - Soldier

Mori gasped out for air. He coughed and felt like throwing up. He could still feel the impact in his bones. The impact of the bomb that had hit the ground only a few meters away from him.

He heard those scream who were not fast enough to dodge. People laid there in all the rubble screaming and painting. His vision was still black but he could feel the smoke filling his lungs. Screaming filled his ears so that no one could decern between fiend and ally.

The black haired soldier felt an arm suddenly wrapping around his waist and pulling him into it's direction. Without a second to hesitate Mori turned around and kicked with all his might. There was no way he would give up now.

He heard a muffled grunting knowing that his attack had hit it's target. Now he just had to find his rifle to end-

"Explain to me please what you're doing right now", a low voice grunted seeming not so pleased to be suddenly attacked.

Mori felt a cold feeling running down his spine. "Getting some water", he said trying to regain his composure as much as he could. Never show your weakness to your enemies. Everyone is your enemy. Regain your composure.

"You're shivering worse than Atsushi when Dazai and Ranpo forced him to drink coffee", Fukuzawa said and tightened his grip again.

The tall man then pulled Mori back in the bed again. His arm still rested on Mori's waist. It was heavy and unpractical. In case of an enemy attack, they both would suffer from that behavior...

"What's wrong?", Fukuzawa asked. He really withstood the urge right now to turn on the lights and check whether everything was all right with his own eyes. But he knew that no matter how much he wanted to check, it would just break everything.

After all Mori Ougai was not a person that liked to appear weak. Everyone who had even seen a glimpse of weakness had probably all been buried. And Fukuzawa was unsure if he would meet his end as well if he ever really SAW something that the man beside him had buried so deeply within himself.

"Nothing", Mori exhaled. His breath was still tattered and his voice sounded odd because he was trying not to cough.

"Hmm", Fukuzawa mumbled and turned his husband around and then pulled him into a hug. He knew that if he wanted to be there for him even a little bit then he had to wait until Mori would talk if he wanted to talk at all.

"I can still hear their screams", Mori whispered after a while. It was faint and Fukuzawa almost couldn't hear it. "I can still taste the smoke", the mafia boss continued, "Feel the shatters and the dirt. I smell the gunpowder and blood in the air...".

The words were cold and rational. Not like in all those sentimental romance books that the youngsters always talked about. No muffled sob and no hint of any emotion.

"The war is over", Fukuzawa whispered and pulled his husband a bit closer. He himself knew those images as well. They had haunted him countless times as well after all.

"Yours might be but you have never been a soldier", Mori answered back seemingly lost in some distant memory.

"And you are not as well now. You are the boss of the mafia, one of the most powerful men in Yokohama. You are not on a battlefield right now", Fukuzawa tried to reason.

Mori closed his eyes. He knew that as well of course. He knew that the days he served in the military were over but he also knew that he had never once stepped off the battlefield. His hands were drenched in blood as he entered the city and they stayed like this.

Because it was the only way to stay sane. He had no PTSD from the war as he was till fighting it. He never once put of his uniform that now only consisted of the expression he wore. There was an orchestra of death that was following him around wherever he went. Screaming and crying. The smell of blood that was like an old friend.

It was a method that many used. After all you were changed so that you would never turn back. You could never clean your hands again so you would always return to a battle that had to be fought. Dazai could have been anything. He could have become a nurse or a cashier. But he chose to be a part of the detective agency.

And why was that? Because you could not run from your fate otherwise. Because with every normal day spent you could only see the blood on your hands clearer. With every smile flashed you felt a little bit more hollowed inside.

So, you tried to search for another fight to win. To justify the blood on your hands or to simply not see it anymore. It was a world of darkness that had swallowed you with no escape.

Not in the way Koyo saw it though. She was still discerning between heroes and villains. Between saviors and killers. But the truth was that there was no line between them. They were all addicted to the battlefield and acting out of convenience, Mori knew that now.

On the battlefield there was no wrong and right. Only the winners decided that later. There was no way to differentiate between the screams of your allies and fiends either. So, in reality it never mattered which side you took. It never mattered which methods you used as long as you could win. As long as you could fight this battle you chose.

"Did you know that people lose their hearts in the military", Mori said and felt a smile creeping up on his face.

Fukuzawa sighed and rolled his eyes: "There you go lying again. Yosano still has hers after all".

"I guess then I never had one to begin with, huh? Or at least I don't remember it", Mori said and slightly smiled. He felt so damn tired right now...

"I heard that's a common situation for devils," Fukuzawa shrugged and relaxed a bit again. At least now his husband seemed to have regained his composure...

"Oh you've figured me out!", Mori chuckled a bit, "Well then please prepare that you have to bow at my feet once you've reached the underworld!"

"I believe in reincarnation", Fukazawa said with a smile on his lips.

"And I believe in death and biology but you said I was a devil", Mori responded and exhaled deeply. He could feel himself being calm again. Perfect. Now an enemy attack wouldn't be crucial anymore.

Fukuzawa chuckled slightly – an unusual tone – and only hugged his husband a bit tighter.

________________________________________________________________________________

Short one I know. And I think I already usedthat idea but I like to write it and it's comforting so bear with it lol xD