Dad (Quicketh)

Puck parked his truck in front of the Fabray house and grabbed his things as he got out of the car. Slamming the car door shut behind him, Puck walked up to the house.

Puck knocked on the door and reached into his pocket for his cigarettes and lighter. The door opened, and Quinn's mom stood there.

"Hi, Mrs. Fabray." Puck muttered, taking his hands out of his pockets. "I texted Quinn that I was coming, but I didn't hear from her."

"Yeah, she's upstairs." Judy said. "Maybe she'll let you help her. The baby's been crying for a while. You can go up."

"Thank you." Puck nodded. He walked past Judy and headed upstairs. Following the sounds of the baby crying, Puck walked over to Quinn's bedroom door and knocked.

Quinn didn't answer, but Puck slowly opened the door.

"Hey." Puck said, watching Quinn pace around frantically with a screaming baby in her arms.

Quinn couldn't hear Puck over the noise.

"Hey." Puck repeated as he gently put his hand on Quinn's back.

"Now's not a good time." Quinn muttered.

"Let me take her." Puck offered. "Your mom said she's been crying a while."

"Noah." Quinn sighed.

"Come on." Puck insisted. "She always calms down when Daddy's here."

"Fine." Quinn sniffled. "Take her."

Puck gently took Beth and held her. "Hey, hey, shhh. Daddy's here. We got you."

Beth continued screaming and squirming in Puck's arms.

Puck glanced at Quinn, who had sat down on her bed and put her head in her hands. He gave his full attention back to Beth and gently bounced her.

"She's clean, she ate, I burped her, and she slept already." Quinn told Puck as she picked up her head and took a deep breath. "She doesn't have a fever, and I don't know what she wants."

"I got her." Puck nodded. "Go lay down or eat or shower or whatever you have to do."

Quinn looked at Puck.

"Do what you have to do." Puck repeated. "I got her."

"I'll be right back." Quinn said. "Ten minutes, tops."

"I got her." Puck promised as Quinn walked out, leaving him with the screaming baby.

Puck tried giving Beth a bottle, but she wouldn't take it. He checked her diaper and then he checked her temperature to make sure she didn't have a fever. He even tried singing to her, but she wasn't having it.

When Quinn returned, she looked at Puck. She bit her lip and watched him.

"I tried everything, Q." Puck said as he looked at her. "Maybe we have to just let her cry it out."

"She's gonna end up making herself sick." Quinn noted. "Or dehydrated or-"

"Then go get your mom to help us." Puck cut Quinn off. "'Cause I can't wake up early to work all day and then have to deal with this after."

Quinn furrowed her eyebrow.

"Can you take her? My head is pounding." Puck said. "I need a cigarette."

-

Puck walked into the tire shop the next morning. He was exhausted, but grateful that Burt was so good to him. Burt had hired Puck when no one else would.

"Morning." Puck muttered as he walked into the office and greeted Finn and Burt.

"Morning, Puckerman." Burt said. "How are you? How's the baby?"

"She's good. Everything's good." Puck answered.

"Why don't you take today off?" Burt suggested. "Go spend time with that little girl."

"That sounds great, but I kinda could always use the money." Puck noted. "Diapers and formula all add up."

"Full pay." Burt offered.

"I can't take your money if I didn't earn it." Puck replied.

"Finn, go walk Puckerman out." Burt commanded.

"Come on, Puck." Finn said.

Puck sighed and looked at Burt. "Thank you."

Burt nodded. "See you tomorrow."

Puck nodded back and followed Finn out front.

"How's everything with Quinn and Beth?" Finn asked as he and Puck headed out.

"Good." Puck said. "They're good."

"Good." Finn repeated as he and Puck continued walking in silence until they reached Puck's car.

"Alright, so I guess I'll see you tomorrow." Puck noted, digging out his keys.

"I went over to Quinn's last night." Finn told Puck. "She called me crying and I went to check on her."

"She told you about Beth yesterday then." Puck noted.

"Yeah, she said you went for a cigarette and didn't come back." Finn added.

"I texted her." Puck said.

"She doesn't want you around anymore, Puck." Finn explained. "And I know you wanna be a good dad and you wanna help Quinn."

"I'm doing my best." Puck responded. "Quinn and I agreed that she would take this summer to relax and recover from the pregnancy and birth while I work everyday. I can't work all day and then have to calm the baby down like that. She was bad yesterday."

"So you suck it up and you do what you have to do." Finn noted.

Puck nodded slowly as he looked at Finn. "You're right."

Finn raised his eyebrow. "That was easier than I thought."

"You're right, Finn. I've been so busy and so tired that I haven't been doing what I'm supposed to do." Puck noted. "I gotta go talk to Quinn. Thanks, man."

"Sure."

Puck got in his car and headed to Quinn's house. He took a deep breath as he parked and headed to the door.

Shortly after Puck knocked, the door opened and Quinn stood there.

"Noah, I'm busy." Quinn said as she went to close the door.

"I know." Puck replied. "I came to apologize to you. And to promise to do better. I figured I'd start now."

Quinn looked at Puck.

"I was stressed and tired yesterday, and I know that's not an excuse, but I was." Puck clarified. "I know we made an agreement for this summer, and I haven't stepped up or checked in on you like I'm supposed to. From now on, I'll be here more for everything with Beth, and you know, if you need anything..."

"I'm fine, Puck." Quinn insisted.

"I just meant that you're healing from giving birth, and after everything, you deserve a break and some rest, too." Puck added.

"I'm fine." Quinn repeated. "I'm tired every single day, but she's worth it. And I feel fine."

"I wanna be a good dad." Puck told Quinn. "And I want the three of us to be a family. I'm sorry about yesterday."